Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Catchin' Up (Again)

I don't know why I get in non-wordy moods, but I do.  I'll tell myself it's way past blog time, and I'll answer, with, "And so?"  (I'm wordy like that.)  Anyway, I've forced myself to start a new post, so we'll see what develops.  

In the new truck category, I'm pleased to report that we're getting all the gizmos figured out.  Dan is loving his new ride, and I'm so glad because every now and then I feel like I hounded him into buying it.  

Meanwhile, to our complete amazement, we've entered the twenty-first century TV viewing-wise and actually have a DVR now.  We got it last Thursday and it took until Sunday night for me to have enough time to try to figure it out.  Fortunately, Ann and Eric have one and I've used it when Daniel says, "Want to watch George?" (That would be Curious George.  And yes, Grammy would.)  I was quite dismayed to discover, however, that we had been supplied with a DVR that had belonged to someone else until quite recently, because it was almost full.   Of questionable content.  Ugh.  So I spent my first hour of use figuring out how to remove the programs.  (And for those of you wondering, yes I did let the provider know of my unhappiness and they offered to do several things to make it up to us.)    I am happy to say that I have successfully recorded several shows so I'm on my way to becoming proficient with this new machine.

I told Dan I don't know what's gotten in to us, but in addition to the new truck and the DVR, we also bought a new camera.  So far, I've been able to take photos and get them on the computer, so that's encouraging.  

And last, we now have caller ID!!  Now when "Rachel, from Card Services" calls, I can just ignore her!  What a gift!  

And so, that's today's update here at the (new and improved) resort!  ♥


8 comments:

  1. We have recorded nearly all programming since the VCR came out in 1980 --and never looked back. I'm not proficient with the DVR but I can (and do) seek out programming to record and delete. I'm happy with that -- until I accidentally push some button and can't get back to my regular setting.

    I'm appalled that your nameless provider -- to which you have and will continue to pay big bucks -- gave you a used unit. The only acceptable answer should have been, "Ma'am, we apologize and we'll be there in half an hour with your new in the unit box -- and we'll set it up for you." What companies do these days!!!! But of course, who are you dealing with anyway -- and that's the problem -- we don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're correct--we have no idea who we're dealing with or where they are. There's a local number to dial, but when you do, a recording comes on telling the caller to dial a toll-free number-- presumably to some far-off place (but it seems, at least, to be in the US).

      There will be resolution on the unit but it will have to wait until Monday. Supposedly a brand-new unit is coming our way.

      Delete
  2. Oops! That should have been "new-in-the-box" unit. Now you know why I have trouble making a firm, believable plea for my rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I had to read it several times after reading this comment to spot it. As to a firm, believable plea for my rights, when I am incensed enough, I fear I'm a force to be reckoned with. As least that's when my sweetie tells me. :-)

      Delete
    2. Mike is the battle-fighter. I get too emotional.

      I'm glad Dan is enjoying his new ride. I find I have to insist on upgrades in our family. Otherwise, Mike will just keep patching and patching and limping along.

      Delete
    3. I, too, can get emotional and do no good, but if I get mad enough, that goes away and I am *very* succinct. (No worries, Hallie, no expletives, but I do have a rather good vocabulary for expressing myself thanks to Mrs. McNichols.)

      Delete
  3. Kudos to you on the DVR! We do not have any show recording technology, but that's largely in part to the fact that we have so few channels. If I start to talk too much about my cable provider, expletives WILL fly, and my mom says that's not lady like. ;P I plan to cancel the cabel this fall, but I need to figure out how to get Internet through a different means. Then, we'll just want shows through Netflix or Hulu--or who knows, maybe we'll read or talk to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallie, amazingly enough, we got quite a few new channels when we went HD and to the DVR. Apparently they come as a package. Our house is located in a spot that leaves us with only one choice for internet so we can't change that. I hear Netflix is great, but at this point, the DVR is enough new technology for us! :-)

      Delete