Sunday, March 3, 2013

Knitting Again

First, the assumption that retired people have loads of time on their hands is a false one.  How has another week gone by when I feel like it's only been a couple of days?? Anyway, I mentioned last MONDAY that I'd write a little post about knitting later in the week, so I guess in one respect, it is later in the week--about as late as you can get!  :-)

Way back last spring I was working on a pair of socks, and all of a sudden, the knitting urge was gone.  Gone! I'd look at the one completed sock and the beginning of the second and say, "Nope!"  I will admit that when I quit knitting one reason was my thumbs were hurting.  Old age?  Who knows, but they did.  So weeks and then months passed.  A few weeks ago, I picked up the socks and decided I'd knit a few rows and see what happened. My thumbs were fine, so I kept on knitting and pretty soon, I had sock two.  

One of the links I have on my sidebar is for Homespun Living.  She has beautiful pictures of her small farm in New York and she also knits and stitches one-of-a-kind bags.  My favorite dishcloth pattern came from her and recently she posted a link to a new design.  This lady is gracious enough to share these patterns free of charge, so I checked out this newest pattern and downloaded it. Oh my gracious--I've found this new pattern to be addictive.  I think I'm on my eleventh one!  I just told Dan we won't need any more dishcloths as long as we live and that possibly the kids could finance our funerals by selling the unused ones at a craft show!  

So, here's a picture of what I've been up to lately:


The sharper eyed of my readers may note that there are lots of yarn ends in that photo; that there seem to be needles still attached to my sock.  That's because while I am knitting away again, I've not been inspired to do the final Kitchener stitch on the socks to join the toe, and I've not woven in the ends of the yarn on the dishcloths. Those are both jobs I have to be in just the right mood to do, and so far . . .

2 comments:

  1. I have had the same experience in the middle of some project -- just a hit a wall for some reason, or maybe no reason. Sometimes I lose confidence in my direction.

    Oh well -- the "weave in the ends" muse will come by eventually. And hey! Why not just sell those dishcloths right there at the funeral? That would be new and memorable. But really -- we should focus on all the good we have yet to do rather than our leave-taking.

    I admit that I quit crocheting the cute little thread angels when my wrists started to hurt. Like you, I notice that they haven't been hurting with a return to more activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll be in the mood to finish off everything and I'll probably even enjoy doing it. And I laughed to think of a dishcloth sale (and possibly fabric and wood!) at our funerals. We might be on to something!

      Glad your wrists are better! Aren't bodies just the strangest things sometimes? Oh well.

      Delete