It's definitely March outside! We've had snow, wind, rain, and generally March-like weather this past week. Even Buddy the Cat doesn't want to go outside although he tries every now and then. Dan is off doing a workshop today and I'm being very lazy although I did strip the bed and the sheets are chugging around in the washer as I type.
Saturday night we had a fun evening the Ann, Eric and the boys. They'd been working outside in their yard and so we decided it would be a good evening to invite them over for some Papa Murphy's pizza. We enjoyed the pizza (and salad), and then settled in to visit. The boys had fun getting out all manner of toys including a full size (for a small person) Lincoln Log set Dan made when the bigger boys were small. I managed to get this picture of Daniel peering out the window from the inside.
Meanwhile in the quilt department, I finished all the blocks on the scrap quilt and put them together in rows with one-inch sashing. After pondering for a while, I decided I'd go ahead and put in the cornstones so I did so, joining the first two rows. Then I stood back and looked and was amazed to see I'd lost my original blocks and created a whole new pattern. And I didn't think I liked it.
If you look at the top two rows, you'll see that the cornerstones made a center for a whole new pinwheel. It makes me feel dizzy to look at it (at least in the "real"--I don't know if you can tell in the photo). Ack!! So I cut some long strips to put between the next rows to see what it would look like without the cornstones and the original blocks are easy to see. Now I need to take the top rows apart. (I love how some people call it frog stitching--rip-it, rip-it!)
So, dear readers, you know what I'll be up to later today or perhaps tomorrow. Meanwhile, stay warm and cozy!
Been there, done that. LOL
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear I'm not the only one! Usually I follow some kind of pattern, but this quilt and my last one I made up as I went along. Surprise!! :-)
DeleteOnce I get it into my head that it's not the way I like it, then it has to be re-done -- whatever it is. Sometimes you just have to try.
ReplyDeleteThe little house with Daniel peaking out is really cute! Imagine! A second life for that house.
I've stared and stared at the crazy quilt, and I think the cornerstones just make it too busy. So, since I'm simple, my quilts need to be, too!
DeleteI just love that picture of Daniel, too. He's such a corker! He keeps all of us busy, but we love it. I was watching all the boys last night and both Cameron and Keaton were having so much fun wrestling and snugging with him. I told them D was like having a real live stuffed animal!
It's your quilt so you certainly want it to be something you like. I count my blessings that there are many quilts I wouldn't want to make. Some quilts are horribly busy, yet someone designed and made them.
ReplyDeleteLittle Daniel reminds me of your dad.
You mean there's another way to quilt? LOL Almost all of my quilts are designed that way, on the fly while I assemble!
ReplyDeleteLove the life size lincoln logs, totally awesome!
Thanks, CJ. When Dan first made the set I couldn't believe how cool it was. He thought it up all on his own--he'd loved Lincoln logs when he was a kid and even has a teeny tiny set from back then. The boys have had a lot of fun with this big set and now we have one who fits inside again! :-)
DeleteI love the picture of D!!
ReplyDeleteMe too!!
Delete