Monday, March 11, 2013

Scrap Quilt Update

I am closing in on completing the blocks for my scrap (free) quilt made from leftovers from another quilt.  I have fourteen more blocks to stitch and then I'm going to be forced to decide just how I'm putting them together.


I'm going to add one more row and one more column. Joining possibilities are one-inch sashing between each block or making a much bigger quilt by using a solid square between each block.  Hmmm...ponder, ponder.

In other sewing room happenings I've stitched out an adorable monkey face appliqued bib using the magic of machine embroidery.  The picture is not a good one, but I'm too lazy to go do it again.  I used washable felt and it's just too cute!


I really, really, really need to do some dusting (my loyal reader all know how much I don't love dusting), but I think I'm heading back down to stitch those last blocks together.  We have leftover homemade pizza for dinner (I'll add a nice big green salad) so dinner's a snap, and I need to sew!

16 comments:

  1. Yeah -- sewing is more important than dusting anyday, especially when you're "on a roll."

    We're having "fricassee of finishes" for supper. Meanwhile I'm baking cookies for the upcoming rummage sale. A number of our members are traveling or facing challenges, so I'll try to bake extra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to report the dust is all still there. :-)

      "Fricassee of finishes!" I love it! I always call it "every man for himself" around here, or "if you find it, you get it."

      How goes the cookie baking? What a good member you are! I haven't made cookies in quite a while; I can resist the cookies but the dough is another matter.

      Delete
    2. Aha! I discovered that I can subscribe to the post comments if I've already published my comment. Good to know.

      Yes, we had fricassee of finishes and now one dish is gone but we didn't touch the other. A finish for another day, I guess -- or maybe lunch.

      I made just one batch today which came out to 3 1/2 dozen. It's my duty to bake 3 dozen, but if I can do more, it will help. The philosophy is that the cookie sale pays the expenses, which has been true in the past. I'll try to bake at least one batch a day and on Friday, we can assess how many we have.

      Oh, I love the dough, too! We're so lucky that it has no calories until it's baked! (LOL)

      Delete
    3. Really? No calories until they're baked? Hahaha!! Don't I wish!

      Delete
    4. You aren't working hard enough at that "no calories until baked" concept, Chris.

      Delete
    5. So it's true?!? (How's that? LOL)

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is eye candy! Such pretty and interesting patterns. Love the monkey bib, too. :)

    Cookies: it was my delight to find the Girl Scouts at the store yesterday. I bought two boxes of Thin Mints and while walking away Nick called me a sucker. Sucker??? Not a chance! Guess who's in line for a cookie whenever I open the box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallie -- Since you don't subscribe to a newspaper, I don't know if you've followed the controversy over sales tax on Girl Scout cookies. They have been tax exempt, but now the states want their money. I was amazed at the projected tax figure. "Who buys those cookies?" I asked your dad. Now I know. LOL

      Delete
    2. I buy Girl Scout cookies, too. When I was teaching I always had some students who sold them so of course I had to buy. Now we have a little neighbor girl and I support her. I know that when Keaton does the Boy Scout popcorn sales it's a big upper for him when someone buys, so I do my part to give others the same lift.

      Delete
    3. I don't remember when a Girl Scout (or Boy Scout) came to my door, nor do I remember seeing them set up any place. They are good cookies. I bought a pan of enchiladas for $15 from the neighbor's daughter last spring -- a fundraiser for FFA, she said.

      Delete
    4. They are usually (both groups) set up outside grocery stores like Safeway and Rosauers and then on a corner downtown on Saturdays here in town. They aren't supposed to go door to door unless a parent is with them, so I suppose it depends on if a parent is available and willing to trek long.

      Mmmm...enchiladas sound wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Oh, but not to worry, Chris, the dusting will be there later. LOL

    Oh, how cute, cute that bib is. We have a new arrival coming very soon and I was thinking "bibs". Yours is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it is the next day and the dust is still there! A layer of protection for the furniture possibly?? LOL

      Let me know if you want me to give you the OESD pack number for the monkey design. It's just one of many cute ones in the pack.

      Delete
    2. Please tell us the pack number. It's a good "sock monkey" nostalgic design.

      The dust doesn't go away. It just gets deeper. Yeah -- I feel a little guilty about letting it pile up. Oh well.

      Cookie, anyone?

      Delete
    3. Okey dokey. Here is the pack number for Jungle Nursery Ensemble: 12337

      Meanwhile, Dan and went for a drive out to Elk River this afternoon so I must report the dust still lingers. On and on.

      Delete
    4. Oh, and I'd love a cookie! :-)

      Delete