Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Table Runners

A confession.  I love table runners!  I love to make them, I love the look of them!  Itty bitty little quilts, scattered here and there on the tops of tables.  As a quilter, I get a lot of bang for my little buck--not much fabric, not much work, lots of color and comfort.  What a deal!

Before Christmas I made up a new pattern, Waffle Time by Atkinson Designs, in the Moda Sentiments Christmas fabrics and it was just right.  I made it for our new coffee table, but in the end, it wasn't right there.  However, it was just right on the dining room table.  


I decided that to justify my purchase of the pattern, I should make another runner.  With the new living room furniture, the need for more runners is obvious.   (Smile) Since Valentine's Day is coming up, a runner for the holiday seemed a logical choice.  I found a couple of matching prints in the shop's mark-down area (Free Spirit's Valentine print from several years ago) and said, "Sold!"  The fabric features those conversational hearts so reminiscent of grade school Valentine's parties. I added some mottled red and pink fabrics, and last night finished this:


Kinda like going from classic to kitsch, but there you have it!  It's a versatile pattern, and this new runner will look great with a big bowl of pink and red peanut M&M's!  Or maybe a bowl of those hearts.  :-)

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes, PLEASE add hte M&Ms - it'll make the fabulous tablerunner come to life. LOL

    I love tablerunners too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went to the store this afternoon and got the M&Ms!! All set! :-)

      Delete
  2. Chocolates -- or a lovely bouquet of red roses. I like the classic to kitsch concept -- mix it up a bit. Small quilts are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, gotta love a quick project! When I get the decorations changed out in a week or so I'll post a picture of the table with the runner and the rest--however it all comes together.

      I'm not much of a rose person--I'll cut a rose in the summer and float it in a crystal bowl, but that's about it. They are beautiful though!

      Delete
    2. I was only trying to spare you having to eat the M&Ms.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I get it! I do enjoy one now and then, but Dan's the real lover of them. And Ann. And Daniel, but he has a tendency to drool when he eats them... :-)

      Delete
  3. So I guess "the milk chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hand" part doesn't help Daniel too much.

    Say -- Daniel just had his second birthday. Did you have a combined birthday / anniversary party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re Daniel, you've got that right! :-) And yes, he just had his second birthday. We joined the family for his party and had a fun time. He loves birthdays and when he realized this party was for *him* his eyes got big and he had a kind of look of wonder on his face. When we got done singing to him, he sat there, then began to sing again, "Happy birthday..." and Ann asked, "Do you want us to sing it again?" and he said, "Again," and so we did. It was precious!

      Delete
    2. I can just picture all that . . . Very special.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you Chris! I think table runners are my favorite quilts, for all the reasons you mentioned! Yours is wonderful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CJ! You've inspired me with many of yours. :-)

      Delete