Yup, that's me doing all that work! Hey, when you shuffle from a major holiday back to everyday life, it's work!! It always takes me a while to take Christmas down, no surprises there, but I thought I'd try some Valentine decorating now. If you've been a reader for a while, you know I made some new Valentine runners last year, and I have a quilt with pinks and browns that I made two years ago. And then there's the new furniture in the living room...
So after working at the shop until one, I came home and decided today was the day. (I'm tempted to put those last four words in all caps, but I'm refraining.) I started gathering Christmas things and piling them in the hall and by the stairs. Lots of every day things are stashed around the house in cupboards and in closets, so I started replacing. And shuffling, and getting out those Valentine runners. And pondering. And shuffling some more. And pondering. And then...sighing.
Guess what? I'm not a pink person. I'm a dark red, dark green and cream kind of person. I've kept the newest runner (see last post) out on the dining room table, but the rest? They've gone back in the closet. Perhaps they'll become gifts, or perhaps another year I'll feel more "pink", but for now, (cuing Sammy Davis, Jr.) I Gotta Be Me.
There. I feel so much better now.
Tomorrow, maybe I'll get the boxes out of the basement closet and finish up. Or maybe I'll have an energy boost and do it in a little while.
GOOD FOR YOU!!! Pink was my favorite color for a long time, but no more! 15 years ago I realized I really like Christmas colors and variations thereof -- dark red, dark green, and shades of brown, including creams. (I'm not a blue person either.) That said, don't despair. Those quilts you made are beautiful. There's nothing wrong with them, and as Valentines' Day comes closer, you may yet find yourself using them, however briefly.
ReplyDeleteIt is difficult to put Christmas away. I mean -- it's real work to take it out and put it back. But take heart. You don't have to do it all at once.
And you can always think ahead. Valentines' Day is just a blip on the calendar, so to speak. Think Americana red and accent with red and white M&Ms, white doilies, milk glass, etc.
Hang in there!
Thanks, Kathy! Pink and I have never gotten along--I remember a pink sweater I had in junior high or high school, and I never felt right when I wore it.
DeleteI'm getting close in the put-away department. One more day and I should have it all done. Just have a few more things to take downstairs and then get out those last boxes and trade items.
And you're right--won't be long until May when I get out the Americana things for summer. (Whoa--time is speeding by!!)
And I like that you're YOU !! Cause I like YOU !!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Cindy! :-) Right back at ya!
Delete