Yes, people, progress has been made on the fall quilt. If you'll remember (or even if you don't), I bought fat quarters of Sandy Gervais' new fall line when we were in McCall in August. I used them to make a small Yellow Brick Road quilt and then realized I needed more fabric for the borders. I was able to order what I needed online and got one border on and half the second. Then life intervened and my quilt languished in my sewing room for a number of weeks.
I finally forced myself to go down and finish that last border two weeks ago. At that time, I was faced with a revelation: I love to make the blocks for a quilt, but for some reason, freeze up when it comes to borders. I think it's because the pieces are long and awkward and I have a fear of ruffled edges; I don't want them, and I (stupidly) allow it to stress me out while I'm stitching. So I said to myself, "Self, get over it! What's the big deal? It's a quilt!" And I sat down and stitched. :-)
Next up, I realized I had no pieces of fabric in my stash big enough to work for a back, at least a back that kind of matched the front. Back to my computer. At this point, I'd like to do a little pitch for shopping locally. I love our little quilt shop, but there's no way it can possible stock all the quilt fabrics that are out there. I shop at home first, and then (and only then) online. I've had very good luck with the Fat Quarter Shop which is in Texas. They are very nice to work with and the packages arrive quickly. The fabric is sealed in a ziplock bag which keeps it nice and dry, even on very rainy days like the one when it arrived at our house. The outside of the package had gotten wet somewhere along the line, but the fabric was safe.
I also decided to do a little experimenting with my thread and purchased a variegated King Tut thread called, appropriately, Autumn.
Yesterday I loaded the quilt on my machine.
I'm happy to report I finished it last night! Up next, the binding. Hopefully I'll be back with my completed fall quilt in a couple of days.
It's going to be lovely, Chris.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid when I tell myself, "it's a quilt," it doesn't quite have the desired effect. I'm still apt to stress out.
But anyway -- I'm glad you got back to it, and it will be a nice fall touch in your house.
Thanks, Kathy. In its unbound state, I have it folded over the back of the wooden rocker and it looks good. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow morning so I don't know how much I'll get done on it with dilated eyes, but hopefully I'll get the binding started.
DeleteNow I need to make a wallhanging of some type to go with it... :-)
Excellent! I didn't know they made variegated thread. That's neat!
ReplyDeleteI know! I decided to be really brave and try some!! I like how it turned out.
DeleteIt seems to me that it's harder to match thread to fabric now than it was in the "old days" of my youth. I think I like that variegated concept.
Delete