My long-time friend Kathy commented that my blog muse seemed to be missing lately. That's because it's hard to write exciting or interesting things about cleaning bathroom sinks, dusting, or vacuuming. Erma Bombeck I'm not. My poor house was in terrible need of some cleaning following all the dust of harvest and wildfires. There was no use in cleaning during those weeks because half a day later, no one could tell. And we all know how much I hate dusting, etc.
Fall has come, however, with rain and wind and cold. Time to find the tops of my new furniture. So, I dusted, I vacuumed, and I scoured. Meanwhile, I fiddled with the bare tops of our new furniture. What to place on all the new space? I've never been much of a gee-gaw collector, possibly because I've never have places to put them. Now, however, those bare tops have been calling for some. For something. For anything! So, many mornings I have wandered around in my nice red fleece robe (it finally being cool enough to wear it), looking in cupboards and drawers, trying to find things we already have that will fill in the gaps. I've been somewhat successful. I think I may have to go shopping, though, after Christmas. (About Christmas I have no fears about bare spaces; at last I'll have enough space for all my treasures.)
And oh yes, I know a number of posts ago I mentioned that the last piece of our furniture was in place, but it turned out that wasn't so. We decided we needed one more large end table between the sofa and Dan's recliner. We had to order it, and it came this week. There's no more room, so it's definitely the last piece.
Its arrival necessitated another morning of looking for "things". I found a little basket which now houses coasters, a little stoneware cat I paid way too much for years ago and therefore couldn't get rid of, and a corner for Dan's iPad. The lamp turned out to be kind of funny. We have another green one on the other end table. When the older boys were little, it got knocked over many times, so I bought another lamp just so I could have a spare. Turns out, it's not quite the same lamp! The shape is different, but I think it's close enough and I'm probably the only one who would notice. And if others do, kudos to them!
Here's an updated view of the sofa table, which of course isn't near the sofa. :-)
I love those little tiny pumpkins you can find at the grocery store this time of year. Our usual store didn't have them, however, and I actually had to go on a search. Safeway did not fail, I'm happy to say.
That little guy is just the perfect accent for October and November. And here's a closeup of the left side of the table:
Dan's dad worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad as a conductor. The watch was his, along with the chain and the attached knife. The book is entitled Graded Lessons in English with an 1885 copyright and comes from my Dad's side of the family.
Here's an updated view of the sofa table, which of course isn't near the sofa. :-)
I love those little tiny pumpkins you can find at the grocery store this time of year. Our usual store didn't have them, however, and I actually had to go on a search. Safeway did not fail, I'm happy to say.
That little guy is just the perfect accent for October and November. And here's a closeup of the left side of the table:
Dan's dad worked for the Northern Pacific Railroad as a conductor. The watch was his, along with the chain and the attached knife. The book is entitled Graded Lessons in English with an 1885 copyright and comes from my Dad's side of the family.
So, that's the thrilling news of the week from here at the resort. Stay tuned, as I will have an update on the fall quilt shortly! Really!
Please forgive the tardiness of my comment. We have been traveling. I love your tables and the "gee-gaws" you found to accent the room. And who cares that the lamp is a different shape? I think that's rather nice. It's fun to buy new things when you find what you truly love (Jim Shore, perhaps), but when you begin to think in terms of what you already have, your home takes on a character all its own. Good job!
ReplyDeleteI admire you for dusting and scouring. I have to do that, too.
No worries. I wondered if you were on your way home.
DeleteThanks for your encouraging words--it means a lot. I do love these new furniture pieces and want the accessories to complement them. I'm amazed at what I've been able to come up with after looking around and pondering.
Meanwhile, wouldn't it be great if dusting and vacuuming and scouring lasted long that they do?? If I looked carefully, it's probably time to start again...
You are so clever with your accessorizing. It has such a comfortable, homey feel. I'm trying to make my place feel more homey (homier?), but it is a struggle for me.
ReplyDeleteHi Hallie! Thanks for your compliments--I feel all hugged!
DeleteWhat style do you like? Modern? Classic? I used to love to buy decorating magazines and study the pictures; as I did, I realized I'm sort of a "classic" decorator with an offshoot towards country. I've given up on magazines, but I've found a few websites I enjoy and they give me fresh ideas.
Personally, I think it just takes a little confidence to go with what you like. I no longer buy magazines either, but I think I'm better at finding ideas everywhere. And I think you would agree that the home should be functional as well as appealing.
DeleteI think that I gravitate toward modern, clean lines, but really, I defer a lot to the artist (Nick). Like Mom says, it's a lot about confidence, and when it comes to decorating I definitely lack confidence. I do have fun looking at ideas, though!
ReplyDeleteI would have guessed you as modern, and I think it's a good choice with a small space. As your mom says, someday you'll have more room (and more to clean!). Trust me, when we lived in our 8x35' trailer, not much decorating went on! :-)
DeleteOn another note, when we did move, we had nothing to take with us as everything was built into the trailer. We took our drawers over and emptied them out on shelves! It was one empty duplex!
Your place is so small, Hallie, that you hardly have the opportunity to explore your interests, but that will come.
ReplyDeleteI think it's good that Chris is displaying some heirlooms. The tendency is to put them away to protect them, but when the next generation doesn't see these things, perhaps doesn't even know about them, they lose their significance.
I remember, Hallie, that you borrowed some b&w family snapshots and created a photo collage on your bedroom wall. That's uniquely your own. Until you did that, I simply saw those pictures as scrapbook stuff.
Good point on the heirlooms, Kathy. We do have some furniture pieces, too, but they're in the basement.
DeleteThe photo collage sounds cool!