Monday, November 26, 2012

A Little This and That

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and we had a wonderful day down at my parents'.  We broke tradition and had ham instead of turkey and it was delicious.  Of course we had mashed potatoes, gravy, squash, and pumpkin and mince pies.  As usual, everyone complained about eating too much, but that's to be expected.  

On the Monday before Thanksgiving we enjoyed an overnight visit from grandson Keaton.  His school was out for the week but brother Cameron's was not, so Keaton was looking for a little "vacation" for a day or so. He and Papa Dan cleaned and filled the hot tub and Keaton enjoyed being the first one in this year.  (I suspect it wasn't quite as fun without a brother to splash around with, however.)  

In the evening I introduced him to a favorite site of mine, especially during the holidays.  Jigzone is an online jig saw puzzle site with many categories of puzzles, but my favorites are, of course, the Christmas ones.  You can change the cut and go from six pieces to one with about 276, so even if you've done a puzzle before, you can still be challenged by it.  Keaton loved it.  

Aebelskivers were requested for breakfast and this grammy was kept busy at the stove making strawberry jam filled yummies.  


By the time I was done it seemed as though a bomb had gone off (I seem to have dirtied every bowl and scraper in the kitchen, not to mention the liberal use of powdered sugar), but as Dan said, no one was hurt in the explosion.  :-)  We all ate until we were stuffed. Mmmmm....

Of course the trains came out and covered the living room floor.  Dan and Keaton were even able to diagnose and fix a problem with a special train I'd gotten for Dan years ago, and Keaton loved sending it chug-chugging down the track.  (It actually made that sound once we found a 9-volt battery to revive it's "voice".)  


Meanwhile, in the sewing room I came up with a little project to be used in this month's embroidery club that proved to be a hit.  We machine embroiders often have designs we love but just can't figure out what to do with. I was pondering this and all at once came up with an idea: stitch out a row of them, frame them with simple borders, and you have a perfect little accent for a wall or table.   I have a different one on display at the shop, but here's one I finished here at home.


This particular design is from an OESD pack called Holiday Luster.  Each design in the pack is one color, which makes it perfect for quick stitching.  

And last, in house news, we ordered the carpet for the stairs today!  They said there'd be no problem getting it done by Christmas!!  Yay!  

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a lot of interesting "this and that!"

    What kind of gravy does one serve with ham? Ham gravy? Not sure I've heard of ham gravy.

    Love the little embroidered piece. Hope I get to club this month!

    I am not a fixer of breakfast, and I'm married to one who prefers nutritious cereal, so see? -- it all works out. I fix lunch and dinner, but breakfast is on your own. I came from a home where a big breakfast was appreciated, so I miss the warmth of it. It just isn't what we do.

    Loved that you all fixed the train. Do you still buy trains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess it was more than a "little" this and that! :-) I was a little behind and just lumped everything together.

      Regarding the gravy: Mom used a couple cans of Swanson's chicken broth to make it. Apparently there's a recipe for gravy right on the can and they do it all the time. Who knew?? It was delicious so I might just give it a try myself.

      I always fix some kind of breakfast for both of us. Lunch is our "every man for himself" meal most of the time. Dan often likes a can of soup and I'm definitely not a can of soup kind of girl. Also, he's often out working in the yard and doesn't come in until two o'clock. I'm starving long before that. Dinner, of course, I cook and we always eat together.

      And regarding trains, outside of a few new cars or special track pieces for the Lionel, we don't buy trains anymore. The grandsons have sure enjoyed playing with what we have, and I'm sure Daniel will have fun with them in a few years.

      Delete
  2. Ooooooo! Love the holiday wallpaper! So festive! Feels like Christmas. Oh, I must get busy!

    I'll have to give that Swanson's chicken broth gravy a try,too.

    ReplyDelete