Oh my goodness, how could it be July 16th already?? Memorial Day was just last week, wasn't it?? Yikes! No wonder I'm getting perilously close to my next birthday which starts with a 6 and ends with a 3. This weekend we attended an event which included several people with whom I graduated from high school. They all looked great, but definitely not eighteen. Hmmmm...
I totally forgot to take my camera to my friend Kathy's Century Farm picnic on Saturday. It was a wonderful time and the farm is an absolutely beautiful place. Her grandparents homesteaded there in 1896 and it has been in her family and continually farmed since that time. Spurred on by her husband, Kathy completed all the paperwork to qualify for Century Farm status and invited friends and family to be there for the award. We had a lovely picnic under a huge maple tree, complete with a breeze which kept the temperature perfect. Dan and I stopped at Mom and Dad's and took them along. Kathy says that they are the last people she knows who still live where they're supposed to--in the house she remembers from her childhood.
Today is cool and cloudy. Dan is out working on our sprinkler system and I'm still waking up. Yes, I know it's around 10:30, but I've never been, and probably never will be, a morning person. When I get done here I'll go make the bed and start to function. I have run through the shower, however, so I'm all clean. :-)
Happy Monday!
It was wonderful to see you, Dan, and your parents! I wish there had been more time to spend with people, but all in all it was a most satisfying event. I miss Idaho already.
ReplyDeleteSo great to see you, too! I'm glad you got to meet Mom and Dad. It *was* as you say, "a most satisfying event." You all did a perfect job. And I was serious when I said I thought Dad and Dan were ready to move up there! Such a beautiful place.
DeleteThank you, Chris. And thank you for coming and bringing your parents. A little reunion of sorts was long overdue.
DeleteYes, another birthday is coming up, and the issue seems to be the fact we just don't look like we used to. Well -- it's not how you look but how you feel that counts.
I think we're doing great in the "how you feel department!" We have family, hobbies, health, and plans. And really, we all look pretty good for being in our, ahem, 60's.
DeleteI meant to add that July 16 was Grandma Nina Portfors' birthday. And Polly Profitt Hagen was born on July 16 (1958) making many people happy. And by coming back to add this note, I was able to subscribe.
ReplyDeleteJuly 16 is indeed a big day in your family! Wish I had known it was Polly's birthday, but I did give her a big hug.
DeleteMy Grandma Portfors had been gone only three years when Polly was born. To my child mind, it seems like she had been gone a long time, but to the adults, I'm sure the loss was still fresh. The doctor told Nina (my sister) that he would induce labor on the 17th; he said he couldn't on the 16th because he had to be out of town. To everyone's delight, Polly came on the 16th anyway, which made it all the more special.
ReplyDelete