Monday, July 23, 2012

Day Camp with Papa

The phone rang this morning and it was Ann, asking if Keaton could come over while Cameron was at soccer camp and she took Daniel to the park to meet with other moms and toddlers.  Of course he could!  

Dan recently spent a day at the Boy Scout camp with Keaton and noted that Keat had a great time at the archery station.  The day we went to the family reunion, Dan stopped at a sporting goods store and got a bow, arrows and other necessary items.  He also bought a new BB gun for the boys (a Red Rider Special!) a few days later here in town.  They've been waiting in the closet in the boys' room here at the resort for the appropriate moment.  

When Keaton got here, Papa Dan sent him in to check out the closet.  Hooray!!  Out he came toting all the boxes, and he and Papa headed for the back yard to set up camp.  Soon, however, back they came.  The bow was a little too hard a pull for Keat, so off they went in search of another.  I waved back as they drove off in the pickup with a flurry of smiles and waves.  How big that boy looked in the front seat of that big ol' truck!   I thanked God for the blessings of all the time we get to spend with these boys.  

In a little while they were back with a dandy new bow. Keaton set to work getting it all ready (it has a cool attachment for the arrows) and then they headed down to the shade in the back yard.  



He said it was just like Day Camp!  And we even had chocolate.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. I just spent 5 minutes writing a post that disappeared. Well, if it turns up someplace, you'll know I was the victim of some electronic glitch.

    I said:
    It's great when you can teach your grandkids from your wealth of experience and expertise. I'm reminded of Grandpa Mike teaching Jack how to shoot the shotgun. I was the puller, and Jack was missing the birds. Grandpa Mike stopped the action for a lecture to which Jack listened intently, but it was over my head. However, when we started again, it was obvious that something Grandpa said had clicked with Jack. He was hitting most of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our grandsons (yours and mine) are so blessed to have special times with their grandfathers. I remember Dad telling me he read somewhere that a man's last and greatest job is to be a grandfather. He took it to heart and so has Dan.

      Delete
    2. Awww...that is a very sweet sentiment. It looks like those boys were having a great time!

      Delete
    3. Hi Hallie! They did have a wonderful time! And it is a sweet sentiment--I loved it when Dad told it to me.

      Delete