As my loyal readers will know, my needle post last week was less than thrilling. I was frustrated and confused. I was trying to learn a new pattern with old yarn and as I continued, I realized it wasn't going to work. I should have known from sewing that you don't take a busy fabric (nubby yarn) and put in fancy stitching (lacy pattern) and have any of it show up.
As a matter of fact, I was beginning to think my scarf looked like something a dog had chewed on. Saturday night I made a decision and pulled what I had knit off the needles and threw it in the garbage. There!! What a relief.
Sunday I was able to stop at the local JoAnn's and pick up some inexpensive yarn, again in white. Why inexpensive? This scarf is knit in two pieces so that each end is scalloped and is then joined in the middle. I'm not so certain I'll be able to do the joining to my satisfaction (I've never done this type of thing before), so I will wait to see how it goes before I invest serious buckage in the yarn.
The best news is that I'm having a blast knitting this pattern and seeing it actually show up!! People's talent for designing stitch patterns never ceases to amaze me. And now to show off my work so far. I have about twenty-four inches of the needed thirty-three for the first half.
Here's a closeup of the pattern:
If you look at last week's work you'll see what I mean about the other one looking like dog food. I'm thinking this has been a lesson well-learned and I'm sure I won't forget it.
The other yarn? I decided to make another (narrower) garter stitch scarf, probably to give to one of the shelters here in town, and it's my "TV work" since there is no thinking involved.
It's been a good knitting week. Oh, and you can check out Judy's blog for a look at what others have on their needles.
That is a very pretty scarf! The new yarn looks like a great choice. How does it say to join the two pieces?
ReplyDeleteHi Judy! Thanks for stopping by--I feel privileged! :-) The pattern says to join using Kitchener stitch (which I know from socks) or 3 needle bind off, which I know nothing about. The Kitchener stitch works great on socks because it joins and looks just like the stockinette stitch. This has a pattern so it seems it would have to be done somewhat differently. This kinda reminds me of "quilt as desired"... LOL
DeleteSometimes it's wonderfully freeing to be able to say, "This just isn't working," and throw it away. As a matter of fact, that's going to happen with a certain quilt project taking up space in our loft. Costly? Not when you consider the lessons learned. It just doesn't always go according to plan. Why keep the evidence, or, what's worse, the feeling of failure or the burden of an unfinished project that you know is sub-par. Move on. (So much for today's soapbox.)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful work on your needles!
You're exactly right about the tossing. Or as our pastor would say, "That'll preach!" Now I can have fun with what I'm doing, and if I ever need a reminder of why it's good to move on, I have that dreadful picture!
DeleteAmen to that! I sometimes even feel that way about my cooking experiments...make it disappear and forget it ever happened.
DeleteYup!
Delete