Friday, June 29, 2012

Needles and Stuff

It's Friday, time to report on what's on my knitting needles. I've made progress since last Friday, but the scarf isn't finished yet.  Gettin' close though!


The joining of the two pieces had me a bit worried, but I contacted CJ, whose post inspired me to try this pattern, and she told me she used the kitchener stitch and that it worked well.  (The pattern gives two choices, kitchener and a three-needle bind-off about which I knew nothing.) I've used the kitchener stitch to join the toes of my socks and while I still find it less than easy to do, I can do it.  

And so, on to stuff.  Dan has been gone all week, but he'll be home later today.  Yay!!  I've spent the time doing ancestry research for my Dad on his family, which has produced much information.  His family on all sides goes waaay back here in America.  I'm into the 1600's, which is fascinating.  

Last night I decided to do a little work on Dan's family (in the interest of equality), and I stayed up until well after one o'clock!!  Got a good start, but this stuff is addictive! Just one more try, one more idea.  It works, though! The internet is so amazing.  

And now, I'd better eat some lunch and make it look like I did some work around here!  

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I can kitchner too but I wouldn't say I'm proficient. I tend to get lost in it when I have to do more than the toe of socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! Thanks for stopping by. I stopped by your site and your work is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful scarf.

    I do that, too -- try to do two days of housework in two hours before Mike gets home. I remind myself that my appreciation of the retro woman must go beyond just reading about her noble character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to look at Dan's time away as a sort of "vacation" for me. Meals whenever and whatever. Read late, or knit, or play on the computer.

      Delete
  3. That scarf is just stunning. Great work!

    What is the most interesting thing you've discovered about your ancestry? Are you royalty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, the most interesting thing? I think it's how far back we go here in the US. I'm back into the 1600's following several lines of my dad's family, and the rest go back to the 1700's. Mom's family, however, is another story. I can go to one great-grandmother. The rest are lost somewhere on another continent at present!

      Royalty? I'm certain we're just plain folks all the way back! :-)

      Delete
    2. Not being royalty is a good thing. Cousins marrying cousins is never good.

      Delete