Monday, June 11, 2012

Family Days and Stitching

The last few days have been busy with family.  Last Wednesday Cameron graduated from sixth grade!  Oh my goodness.  He and Keaton attend the school where I used to teach, so going back is always fun, but this was a very special occasion.  McDonald School has always done a great graduation and this was no exception.  From a power point with through-the-grades photos of each student to Pomp and Circumstance as they received their diplomas, it was a happy, teary event. 

Each class had two speakers and Cameron was chosen to be one of them.  He did a great job.


Friday was his 12th birthday and yesterday was Daniel's baby dedication at church.  Since we were part of the dedication, I have no pictures to share though.  Eric's parents were over for all the events and we enjoyed seeing them again.  

And now it's Monday.  Time to get back to the routine of the week.  I need to make up lesson plans for the appliqued quilt.  Four people have asked for a class. And I need to work up some plans for the embroidered Christmas wall hanging as the shop owner wants it to be this year's embroidery camp.  

After pondering and pondering, I finally came up with an idea for this month's embroidery club at the shop.  I've seen similar ideas several places, but instead of using flour sack towels, I used osnaburg (my favorite fabric) and, of course, added embroidery.  They have an earthy feel and I'm really happy with how they turned out.  


Osnaburg shrinks a lot so I prewashed it hot water and dried it in the dryer on high.  A yard shrunk down to about thirty-three inches, but the fabric was nice and soft and barely needed ironing.  I love the super giant ric rac edging.  The fabric is Salt Air by Cosmo Cricket for Moda fabrics.  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Cameron. Today the sixth grade -- tomorrow high school. As someone once said, it doesn't take long for them to grow up once they start school. The years just fly by.

    And I know Daniel's dedication at church was special for the whole family.

    The towels are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Yes, I think we were all thinking the same thing as we watched him. How quickly he's come this far. I think Ann was glad little Daniel has a ways to go. :-) And thanks for liking the towels!

      Delete