Friday, May 25, 2012

Stitchin' Away

Yes folks, I'm still here.  I've been busy stitching on blocks for a sample quilt for the shop and it's slow going. Or maybe I'm just slow.  :-)  There are thirty blocks and each of them has a flower applique.  The original pattern called for dimensional flower petals, but when the fabric order came in, instead of fat quarter packs (needed for the pattern) we found we had fat eighth packs.  Uh oh. After some thinking, I figured out a way to do the flowers with the smaller sized fabric pieces by using a new shop tool:  an Accuquilt GO! Fabric Cutter.  

I'll show you some photos of the cutter, but first I want to give praise to a simple little sewing helper that made doing the eight-point star blocks much easier.  It's called Clearly Perfect Angles, and it clings to the bed of your sewing machine.  By keeping the front point of the block centered between the black and green lines, it's easy to stitch from corner to corner without having to draw a line to follow.  



The cutter made it so much easier to do the flower petals and center.  No more tracing on the back of fusible web, ironing, and then hand cutting.  Of course you do have to iron the fusible web to the back of the fabric, but the GO! does the rest.  

Here I'm getting ready to cut a circle for the flower center:


I just scooted the die up to the roller, turned the handle, and voila!  A perfect circle.   In the next photo I show the fabric cut into sections, ready to stack and cut into three petals.  


Here are some finished blocks (each one is different):





After ironing the flower pieces in place, I button-hole stitch around each piece with brown thread.  I have nineteen of thirty blocks done.  Wish me luck!  Oh, the fabric line is called Urban Cowgirls by Moda fabrics.  

7 comments:

  1. Those are fun! Do you own those tools or do you use the ones at the shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Clearly Perfect Angles is mine, but the GO! belongs to the shop; I brought it home to use since I have 240 petals and 30 circles to cut. The right tools sure do help!

      Delete
    2. It just looks amazing to me. I'm not sure I could take it on. Will the finished product eventually belong to you or does it belong to the shop?

      Delete
    3. I'll confess I wasn't excited to start this quilt, but I have enjoyed working on it. When employees make a quilt for the shop there are two options: She can pay us for our work, in which case it belongs to the shop, or we can opt not to get paid and keep it, although we would have to pay the quilting fee (she has shop quilts professionally quilted). In both cases she provides the materials for the top. I don't think I'll keep this one. I don't know what I'd do with it, and really, I've gotten the fun of making it, which is enough for me.

      Delete
  2. Your work is beautiful as always, but I can appreciate that colors and maybe the pattern, too, aren't quite your thing. I don't know if I could get inspired to make something to which I can't totally relate. I suppose it's no different than making a gift for someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some of the blocks I really love, others, maybe not so much. But they have been fun to make and I'm thinking sometimes it's good to try something new. I think I could make this (probably smaller) again in "my" colors, and it would be fun to have for summer. Or maybe for fall.

      Delete
    2. Yesterday I cut out a little jacket using some corduroy I bought 20 years ago. I didn't bring my sewing machine to the farm this trip so today I'm going to experiment with the treadle machine. At least, that's my plan.

      Delete