From the time I was little, I can remember Buddy Poppies. Every memorial day, Dad would come home and have a red Buddy Poppy and I would look and look at them. As a veteran of World War II, buying the poppies was very personal to Dad.
Saturday Dan came home with a Buddy Poppy (it's personal to him, too) and I was instantly transported back to my childhood and those days when soldiers and veterans were honored, seemingly by all.
Buddy Poppies are a project of the VFW, Veterans' of Foreign Wars. I remember Dad telling me that injured veterans made the ones he brought home and I'm pleased to learn it's still true. To read the history of Buddy Poppies, click here.
Our flag is flying. I am once again so thankful to those who gave years of their lives, and those who gave their lives, so I can live in freedom.
I, too, remember the poppies from childhood. I don't remember the "buddy" part.
ReplyDeleteFor reasons mostly related to the age of the individual at the time of conflict, my family did not have strong involvement with the military. When I'm upset with one of my sons (and sometimes I am), I put my finger on my lips and think of those mothers who have given sons through military service. Even for those who return from war, life is often never the same.
As proud as I am of Dad's and Dan's service, I've always been so thankful that Matt (and Eric) never had to go to war. And you're right--the experiences of war do change the participants and they carry those changes with them the rest of their lives. Now I have four grandsons, and my prayer is that they never have to know combat.
DeleteI received a Buddy Poppy at the grocery store on Monday. I didn't know what it was--the old fellow just kind of pushed it upon me. It wasn't until I got home that I read the tag that said proceeds benefit the VOFW. I feel really bad. I didn't pay for it. He didn't ask me to, either. I guess I'll have to find another way. I suppose the point is really just so that we don't forget and that we DO look for a way to thank and remember our veterans.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry Hallie. And maybe since you had one, you helped others remember to go and get one. There is no real "charge" (it's just by donation) so if you want, next year, you can donate a little extra. And you're absolutely correct: the point is not to forget and to look for a way to thank and remember. Well said! :-)
DeleteI agree with Chris. The interesting thing is that Hallie has not previously encountered the buddy poppy. When I was a child WWII was still fresh in the collective memory and veterans sitting at a table requested a donation in exchange for the poppy. The requested donation was a dime, as I recall. But I think that old fellow may have seen an attractive, approachable young woman with whom he wanted to share.
DeleteI answered the phone last week and the caller asked for Mike and then identified himself. He went on to say that we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice during war but his organization wanted to make sure those who have returned or are returning from service were not forgotten. I expected him to ask for a contribution, but with that he hung up.
Kathy, I really like the idea of the phone call you received! Just a timely reminder with no requests for money--how amazing! Actually makes me want to donate to that group!
Delete