You know how some weeks are nice and quiet, nothing much happening? Well, this wasn't one of them. We started the week with a holiday, but Dan had work to do getting ready for workshops he was helping to conduct Tuesday through Thursday, so there was no playing that day. I worked on the shop quilt and got more blocks done. (As of tonight, I only have four left to do.)
Tuesday Dan left and I got some more sewing done. Wednesday I watched Daniel all afternoon, and I'm here to tell you that boy loves to be outside. I plopped him in his stroller and we went for a long walk, but when we got home, he decided he needed to be outside and have some freedom, so we played, wandered, and went for another walk, this time with both of us walking. And running. For sixteen months old, that boy can move! It was so fun to watch him explore the world--precious times.
By the way, here's a fashion tip from Daniel's last visit to our house: When you roll around on the lion chair while taking off your shoes, you get a rather unique hairdo!
Today I worked at the shop all day. I took my completed blocks and arranged them on the design wall. (I should have taken my camera, but I didn't think of it.) Anyway, the end result was that two customers fell in love with it, requested a class, and bought the fabric. Yay!!
And now it's Thursday night. Dan got home a while ago and we're both so tired I'm sure we'll be heading for bed very soon. Tomorrow Cameron's class is launching hot air balloons made from tissue paper in the morning and then in the afternoon he'll be running in the annual 5th and 6th grade track meet. We'll be there to cheer to cheer him on!
Is that the Hershey track meet? Best of luck to Cameron!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the quilt was a hit! The fabrics really are very cute. Fabric is art. I'm afraid that if I had a sewing room I would collect fabric faster than I could make things.
Collecting fabric -- that's what it's all about, Hallie. You could begin to accumulate your stash now. I'm sorry we let Mother's stash go -- one of those things I just can't allow myself to think about.
DeleteOh -- and Chris, I enjoyed the update on little Daniel and your project for the shop. Will there be a class? I'm sure you had fun at the school.
Hallie, your mom is right--a stash is what it's all about. And they can even be decorations. A few fat quarters in seasonal colors tied up with a bow can add color and warmth, and then be squashed into some container for later projects. Almost all of my quilts come from shopping my own stash because I have the colors and styles I like, ready to go any day or hour.
DeleteKathy, we did have a fun day at school yesterday! A new post on the day coming up. And I'm glad you enjoyed the Daniel update. :-)
Since I first responded here this afternoon, I've thought quite a lot about stashes. I agree with Chris that fat quarters have their uses and are easy to store. You could get a small box and store the fat quarters in it. And you'll begin to notice some things about your taste. On some level, the patterns and colors you like blend. (Oh -- sometimes there's an oddball, but that's okay.) And since I've been building my stash, I find that, like Chris, I can turn to my stash instead of spending hours at the store. And what I've noticed at embroidery club is that we each make something that is uniquely our own and sorta transcends definition.
DeleteI'm still learning about my tastes. For instance, I like the Depression-era prints, but not exclusively. I have other interests that deserve to be explored.
Hallie, I forgot to respond to your asking if it was a Hershey track meet. No, it wasn't; I don't think they do Hershey meets here, at least not that I know of. This meet is part of the elementary PE program and is for the three elementary schools and the local Catholic school participates, too.
Delete