Another week has passed and we've been busy with, yes, this and that. Last Friday we went to work making a new batch of elk burger. We continue to be amazed at how well the KitchenAid grinder attachment works for this! In a few short hours, with the mixer doing most of the work, we have good, healthy burger packaged and ready for the freezer. I think we got about eighteen pounds and I wrapped them in one-pound packages. Here's Dan, hard at work:
Saturday morning we watched Keaton and Daniel while Ann took Cameron to an out-of-town soccer tournament and Eric practiced with the worship band at church. He plays the drums, usually every other Sunday. Saturday afternoon we drove down to Mom and Dad's and enjoyed both the visit and the beautiful drive down in the sunshine.
Sunday, it snowed!! And blew. Cameron's early morning soccer game was a wet one, but it was the last of the weekend and they got hot chocolate (Cam) and a mocha (Ann) and drove back in time to join us for the last few minutes of church. Cameron's team didn't win any of their games, but he scored one goal on Saturday and three in Sunday's game! Apparently that's called scoring a hat trick. As Ann says, he plays with determination.
Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday I worked at the quilt shop and enjoyed it. The weather continued to be true March--snow, sun, rain, sun, snow, etc., and it was good to be indoors, surrounded by fabric and sewing machines! I got acquainted with the new machines we just got in. I must say, I love sewing machines; I want to take them all home with me! Like I need one more...
Yesterday we enjoyed dinner and a good visit with daughter-in-law Amy's parents. They are looking to buy a new SUV and wanted to test drive ours for comparison to some they are considering.
And now it's Thursday. I have a pork loin with potatoes and carrots in the crockpot. I did the laundry this morning and spent part of this afternoon stitching on that project for the shop. I'm almost done with the embroidery part and will move on to assembly shortly. I should have a share soon.
And so ends today's update from the Resort. I hope this finds all my readers cozy and in good spirits!
Do you enjoy elk burger? I don't really recall it in your mentions of the delicious dinners you've cooked. Pork loin sounds great! Do you do anything special with it in the crock pot? How did you choose to season it?
ReplyDeleteHi Hallie! Yes, we love elk burger--we haven't used beef burger in at least twenty years. Elk tastes much like beef and is very lean. We've fed it to lots of people and no one ever knows the difference. It doesn't taste at all like venison. We eat elk, pork, and chicken.
DeleteMy pork loin in the crockpot is very simple. I take a frozen loin, usually about one to two pounds, plop it frozen in the crock pot, sprinkle on some McCormick's Grillmates Montreal Steak seasoning, add a few potatoes cut into chunks, and some carrots, also chunked. I sprinkle some more seasoning on the top, add about 1/4 cup of water, and let it cook on high for 4 to 5 hours. It's so simple, and we love it. I just put the liquid in a pitcher and we pour it over the meat and veggies on our plates.
What a simple idea that anyone -- even working people -- could do. I was especially thinking of Hallie's newlywed friend Ellen who is looking for recipes. Chris cooks it on high but I'm sure one could cook on low during the work day. And a beef roast would work as well, if one prefers that.
Delete