I love socks. When I first started teaching school, I started a little tradition for myself of wearing "funky" socks on Fridays because we teachers usually wore jeans and our school sweatshirts that day. My normal Friday footwear was loafers and fun socks were the perfect accompaniment. I had socks with cows on them, socks for the holidays, even a pair of socks with the Union Jack on them which Bruder Bear brought back from England for me. Trust me when I say I have a lot of socks.
One of the blogs I read on a daily basis is Patchwork Times. It's written by Judy Laquidara who is a prolific quilter. But Judy is also a prolific knitter of socks. After reading about socks numerous times, I decided I needed to make a pair for myself. (After knitting roughly one-hundred-three dish cloths, I was thinking it was time to branch out...)
I found a free pattern on the Lion Brand website and went looking for some suitable yarn. I finally found one I liked at the local JoAnn's. There are lots of wild yarns out there, and I was looking for something more subdued that would go with my blue jeans. I live in blue jeans.
I have one sock done and am well on my way with number two.
Using five needles and knitting in the round is a hoot. The yarn itself makes the stripes and I absolutely love how it looks knitted up. Even the stripes look like they have a pattern in them, making it look like I went to much more work than I did.
Judy recently posted a picture of another pair which I'd love to try. And CJ has been knitting and just made a gorgeous scarf I'd also like to make. As long as it keeps snowing here (fourth day in a row we've awakened to the white stuff), knitting is the perfect cozy down thing to do. Especially in the evenings.
Good for you! I usually try to figure out a way to knit with just four needles but really, what's one more needle? So glad you're enjoying it.
ReplyDeleteThe funky socks you wore to school -- were those store-bought? I love holiday socks, but I quit buying them because they all seem to have elastic tops, and I don't think wearing an elastic band on one's leg is good. I don't knit, but Lion Brand has plenty of patterns to inspire my crochet hook.
ReplyDeleteI know you'll enjoy the socks you're making. How long do they last?
Yes, the socks I wore to school, for the most part, were store bought and did have some type of elastic top on them. Some tighter than others.
DeleteI have no idea how long the socks I'm making will last, but they are mostly washable wool and I think Judy has mentioned that her socks last quite a long time.