I haven't posted on anything sewing related in a while so I decided it was time. I'm working on a project for the shop, but I put it on hold for a few days so I could design a new project for this month's embroidery club. Sometimes when I have to do my own creating, it seems a little overwhelming. This was one of the times, but I "bit the bullet" on Monday. It's an idea I've had for a while.
First I made a simple pillow, but I put contrasting cording around it for fun. I decided I'd make the pillow red as it would work through many seasons in my living room (my accent colors are dark red, dark green and navy blue). I like having very neutral furniture (sort of beige/tan) as a backdrop. I rummaged around in my sewing closet and found a chunk of dark red fabric that was just the right size, and then a piece of checked fabric I thought would work for the cording.
My first mistake was in cutting the pillow front and back. I totally forgot to cut them different sizes so I could put a button closure in the back side. Oops! Oh well, Plan B: I'd leave an opening and stuff the pillow form in and then stitch it up. The cover didn't need to be removable. Well, try as I might, there was no way I was going to stuff that pillow form in--it was too big and stiff. Plan C: stuff the pillow cover with craft stuffing. It took some doing to make it look smooth, but in the end I was satisfied and called it good.
Now, on to the reason for the simple pillow, the embroidery part. I thought we could make wraps with embroidery for different seasons and simply change them out whenever. I used my favorite decorating fabric, Osnaburg, and embroidered three flowers in dark green and dark red. A little velcro on the ends, and it was easy to wrap the pillow and give it its first makeover.
Here's another view where you can see it with other red, green and navy accents.
I'm kinda likin' this idea. Now to make a wrap for summer with something patriotic. The possibilities are endless.
Oh, and that rocking chair? It was the first piece of new furniture (excluding the washer and dryer) we bought when we moved from the 8x35' trailer into a duplex when we were expecting Matt. It's seen plenty of miles. :-)
Chris, I admire your perseverance and ingenuity. I probably would have said, "Oh look what I did!" and started all over when the pillow form didn't fit. I look forward to the project. Are you taking bets on whether or not I can finish in one session?
ReplyDeleteWell, I had to come up with a project and I liked the fabric I'd chosen, so I made it work. :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd no, I'm not taking any bets. :-) There's no hurry--the fun's in the process.
As you know, I have an interest in making cloth dolls, but I'm slow to act on it. Two things hold me back -- faces (I'm not artistic in that way) and adjusting the stuffing. But you don't learn these things while you sit and think about it. You have to start somewhere.
ReplyDeleteSo true that you have to start somewhere. I think the problem is we only see completed projects of others that turn out well, so we erroneously think everything we do should be perfect. I think we should think of new projects as "experiments" and then we'd feel more free to dump them if they don't turn out. C'est la vie--that's our new motto!
Delete"Experiments" -- I like it. In fact, I try to tell myself that, but I still tend to want a finished project that I can use, share, or show. And of course, I can tell you everything that's wrong with whatever I do.
Delete