Thursday, July 22, 2021

Stitchin' Stuff

I'm making headway with the pumpkin cross stitch.  All the words are done, now I'm beginning on the stitch heavy scene that's the bottom third of the picture.  


Years ago I splurged on a tin box containing a package of Nestles chocolate chips.  I just checked online and it appears you can buy one on ebay for ten dollars.  Another site had ones listed for around seven but said they were sold out.  The listing says it was 1987's collectible tin.  


I have used mine for years as my cross stitch project thread keeper.  Here's a view of it for my current project, with my fancy envelope method of thread storage.  


Each color has an envelope with a small piece of the thread taped to the front next to its corresponding DMC color number.  Primitive, but it works great. I photocopied this project's thread colors and their symbols and keep it here, too, because the pattern is so large that the colors don't show when it's folded to the section I'm working on. Scissors and extra needles are also stored here.  

Since I'm a linear stitcher, I don't need a bunch of project bags because it's one at a time for me.  I have some small file containers where my whole stash of embroidery floss is filed in numerical order, so it's easy to find what I have and pull for each project as I go.  ♥

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by your organized system. I have several boxes of leftover floss, some skeins quite old.

    I love boxes, and yours is wonderful. Grandma Ina loved boxes, too, and I have a few old stationery boxes that were hers.

    Your cross stitch is coming along beautifully and will grace your home this autumn. I wonder how you'll frame it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone I knew years ago told me about using the envelope method for the floss and it's been a great way to store and use. Many of the cross stitchers who are blogging and doing videos are using fancy ring holders for their floss which seem to me to be hard to work with. I'll take easy and cheap. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooo! Ooooo! I just saw the scissors. I found mine just the other day. Didn't we use those to trim baby fingernails? I have mine ready to send to Hallie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used stork scissors for needlework. The pair in the photo I probably bought thirty some years ago, but somewhere I have a well-worn pair that belonged to one of my great-grandmothers. Hmmm, I wonder where they are?

      Delete