Sunday, July 26, 2020

Stitching On

I got more done on the Christmas quilt.  The tree stars were added and I machine blanket stitched around all the applique pieces.


Next I cut the pieces for the row of sawtooth stars that will be added just below the house. Here they are, stacked in rows according to the alphabet letter for each piece.


I was able to make one star this afternoon.  I finally remembered to stitch just to the inside of the drawn diagonal line which makes for a much truer sized block. I was very pleased with the end result!


I think there are twenty-one pieces in that 6 1/2" block!  Only four more of them to make.  

I don't think I've talked about that gray mat the star block is shown on.  A year or so ago I noticed that many quilters were talking about a wool mat to be used for pressing that they were very happy with so I ordered one.  I really does help with the pressing process--the blocks don't seem to stretch on it and if you use steam, the wool holds the steam for a bit helping to hold the press.  I think mine is 14" square and it works for most of the blocks I make.  Once I join the blocks, of course, I take it off the ironing board and just use the top of the board for long seam pressing.  I do see some huge mats out there, but I have no place for one and this size works well for me.   ♥

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing your star block. It's exciting to see this little peek at what promises to be a beautiful addition to your holiday decor.

    I, too, have seen the wool cloth / mats and wondered about it. I probably don't quilt enough for it to matter. But -- you mentioned steam. I recently participated in a sew-along where a quilter said that you don't use steam when you press. I don't remember hearing that before. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some say steam other say not. I do my first pressing with out and then add steam to solidify my press. With the wool mat, I've heard you don't actually have to worry about any distortion with steam because the wool keeps the block in place. And I think I would agree with that. I love that thing!

      Delete