Saturday we had to be out for a quick bit (another drive-by), and when we got home I told Dan to leave the car out as I wanted to find out just exactly what was lurking in our freezer. It sits in our garage right in front of the car, and while I can get the door open and get what I need, it isn't conducive to a large inspection or rearrangement.
Dan volunteered to bring out a folding table so I had a place to sort and that helped immensely. So, what exactly was in there? More than I thought! I even unearthed a box of Skinny Cow fudgesicles! Score!! Underneath the bacon I found two vacuum sealed bags of three pork chops each. Oh yes, I remembered them. The ones I used from the larger pack they came from were tough, and I mean tough. No matter how I cooked them, they were awful. Dan appeared about the time I found them and suggested that maybe they'd make pulled pork. Hmm, didn't sound like a bad idea so I said I'd try.
Further rummaging found an extra bin of pork roasts and lots of stew meat. Yay! Meat for dinners that will stretch over a period of days. We are good to go for many a day, especially with the bread flour he found last week.
As I finished up my mind drifted back to the early days of our marriage and the first freezer we bought. It was the summer of 1973 and the oil crisis was nearing its height. Freezers were hard to come by as were canning supplies (this situation lasted for well over a year) but we somehow managed to score a large freezer from Sears. (Side note: It was a self-defrosting model which wasn't supposed to be good for the food stored, but it was absolutely the best freezer we ever had, lasted the longest, and gave us the least freezer-burned food of all the freezers we've had. And we've had to defrost all the rest of them!)
Yesterday evening I decided I'd see what was available on Costco.com as it doesn't look like it's worth making a trip out of town to our nearest one. The lines, the time, the availability of goods, it all sounded like an exercise in futility. So, I opened up my computer and went shopping. Turns out Costco.com is out of many, many items, too, but I did manage to get some more almond milk (I use it in my smoothies and for our oatmeal), Ghirardelli brownie mixes, and the all important evening TV snack, Pub Mix. I got some other things, too, of course, but these will help make the days a little more palatable.
Oh, and the pork chops? They did indeed make great pulled pork! We had it Saturday and Sunday nights and I froze the rest. Another meal in the freezer for when I am not in the mood and that's a good thing for certain! ♥
It just feels so good to find the provisions on hand and make use of them. I have even enjoyed using it down a bit and tossing the odd item that is -- well -- old, expired.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your adventure through your freezer.