Monday, June 10, 2019

A Stunning Place for a Shower

And no, I don't mean a fancy bathroom!!  Several weeks ago we headed down to LaGrande, Oregon, to attend a baby shower for Mariah, my nephew JR's wife.  They are expecting a little boy in July and the time had come to shower them with gifts.  

When the invitation came, the location was listed as the Stang Manor.  I texted my sister-in-law, Karen, and asked if pearls and high heels were required.  She laughed and said no, just comfy clothes.  Eric and Keaton were out of town on a school trip, so Ann and Daniel rode along with Dan and me.  It's a four-hour drive, so Ann suggested we spend the night and enjoy a leisurely drive home the next day.  It was a brilliant idea and Dan and I agreed.  (We tend to be quite linear and think, go, attend, drive home.)

We left home before eight, picked up Ann and the D-man and headed out.  The drive was spectacular, and spectacularly slow.  They don't call one of the grades "The Rattlesnake" for nothing.  Steep? Yes! Windy? Yes!  Up we went, down we went, up we went, and down we went. Thirty-five miles an hour was speedy for many miles.   But I digress...

Upon arrival in LaGrande, we dropped the Daniels off at JR and Mariah's to spend the afternoon with "the guys", and found our way to Stang Manor.  Turns out, it's a lovely 100-year-old home built by a timber baron using the same plans as his home back in the upper midwest. It is now a bed and breakfast and part of our family was actually staying there for the weekend, and because of the multiple days, we had access to the whole house, including the kitchen.  

I have taken some pictures from their website but encourage you to go to the actual site for even more pictures and history of the house. 

Front garden with house on the right

Kitchen of my dreams!

Sitting area for one of the suites

Dining room with original table and sideboard

Beautiful entryway


The shower was a great success as JR and Mariah received many lovely things for their soon-to-arrive little boy. I made my usual gift, a quilt, and though the design was very simple, the fabric made it one of my favorites.  

The motel was just the thing for an eight-year-old boy because it had a big, empty pool, and I'm here to say Daniel made excellent use of it.  After eating all kinds of treats at the shower (the boys all joined us after it was over and enjoyed treats, too), we checked into our rooms, D hit the pool, and Dan and I headed out to pick up a pizza to eat in our room. Following the pizza, D hit the pool again, this time with Ann joining him in the water, and needless to say, he spent an hour or more there again in the morning before we headed out.  

We meandered (literally!!) our way home, stopping to admire Lake Wallowa and skip rocks, and decided a stop at Costco when we reached Clarkston was a much-needed break.  What a fun weekend.  Family, food, swimming and Costco!!  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. What a wonderful venue for a gathering. And it's great that you made it a truly memorable occasion by taking time to enjoy.

    Yes, much of our travel in the Inland Northwest is "leisurely." That's just the way it is. It's nice that you were able to support the shower by your presence and your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was an amazing venue. We had such fun prowling after the shower. Daniel loved it and disappeared upstairs saying he wanted to see if he could get lost!! And that kitchen...

      Delete
  2. That house looks stunning! What a nice weekend adventure. We stopped over in LaGrande briefly one year at the beginning of our Utah road trip. I remember it being a very pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was through LaGrande back in the 70's but had no remembrance of it. It does seem to be a nice place and there's even a university there. If I'd known family was staying at the B&B maybe we'd have joined them, but then it doesn't have a pool and the motel was a much better spot for our not-so-little man. :-)

      Delete