My first project to share is actually a year old, made last summer when I was in a blogging drought. Years ago I purchased a booklet of patterns for banners for each month of the year by Pat Sloan. I used it as inspiration for two banners for our front porch, one for fall and one for the summer. I made the original summer one with machine embroidery and sadly lost the design somewhere over the years. The sun had done a number on the fabrics and for several years I pondered making a new banner but never quite got to it. Last summer, it looked so sad and washed out I knew I had to do something.
I dug around in my piles of quilt books and found the booklet and decided to make a new banner using the July pattern with no alternations. It graced the porch for the rest of last summer and I was happy to hang it out again a few weeks ago.
I just love having the brightness of it hanging there! I was befuddled about how to quilt the star section but then came up with the idea to trace the star shapes on freezer paper, iron them here and there, and then stitch around their edges with my walking foot. It worked!
My other completion is current. Remember the Snowy Day quilt I began last winter? I finally finished it!!
Dan is just crazy about it and I have to say I'm pretty smitten myself. It was a very different project for me and I'm kinda proud of myself for giving it a try. It boosted my quilting confidence and I think I'll try some other projects that I probably would have passed on before. Guess I'm not too old to learn some new things! ♥
I dug around in my piles of quilt books and found the booklet and decided to make a new banner using the July pattern with no alternations. It graced the porch for the rest of last summer and I was happy to hang it out again a few weeks ago.
I just love having the brightness of it hanging there! I was befuddled about how to quilt the star section but then came up with the idea to trace the star shapes on freezer paper, iron them here and there, and then stitch around their edges with my walking foot. It worked!
My other completion is current. Remember the Snowy Day quilt I began last winter? I finally finished it!!
Dan is just crazy about it and I have to say I'm pretty smitten myself. It was a very different project for me and I'm kinda proud of myself for giving it a try. It boosted my quilting confidence and I think I'll try some other projects that I probably would have passed on before. Guess I'm not too old to learn some new things! ♥
No comments:
Post a Comment