For some reason I always feel that when the 4th of July hits, summer is half over. Really, it's not and I'm not certain why I feel that way. Maybe it was the years I was teaching and August was creeping steadily closer. Once August hits, teachers turn their thoughts and efforts to a new school year: planning, getting to know new textbooks, putting the classroom back together after the summer cleaning crew leaves, and so on. One teacher friend likened summer to a weekend: June is Friday night--hey we survived! July is Saturday--let's play! And August is Sunday--Monday's comin'...
At any rate, it's our country's birthday! And a three-day weekend. We here at the resort are enjoying some down time as Dan has been super busy with his consulting and will continue to be in the weeks ahead. I plan to grill some chicken breasts later and have it with pasta alfredo. Mmm. Hardly 4th fare, however. Hopefully I'll have some chicken leftover to put in salads this week. Love these salads in the summer!
Meanwhile, I've been doing some stitching. A week or so ago when Dan was out of town for the week, I pondered possible projects in my sewing room closet. I'd had one pulled out for a while but I finally realized it was not one I would enjoy, so I pulled the kit apart, threw the pattern away, and put the fabrics in the appropriate fabric stacks by color. Whew! The relief I felt told me I'd made the right decision. But now what?
Something fun and easy, that's what. A few years ago when I tore my sewing room closet apart and Dan made me new shelves, I put together several bundles of fat quarters to make Yellow Brick Road quilts. One such bundle was comprised of the Bella Baby fabric line by Marcus Brothers in blue and brown. The time had come! I began cutting and soon had the various blocks made.
I currently have the blocks arranged on my design wall and plan to start stitching them together in a day or so. I should have this quilt done in no time and then I'll get to choose a whole new project. ♥
Wonderful! What an inspiring post. I, too, have been sorting projects, and a part of that is to toss (or re-think) what no longer works for me.
ReplyDeleteLove the presentation of your salad. Looks great on the plate.
I'm glad you found it inspiring. Fortunately, I love to sort and toss.
DeleteI'm hooked on that salad. Had three this week! Love it with blueberries. Mmmm.