Thursday, July 14, 2016

I've Been Stitchin'

I'm not really in the mood to blog, but I decided I need to or it will be weeks ... again.  Dan has been super busy with his consulting so I've had long days with time on my hands.  I have enjoyed watching some quilting videos online and have ordered a few things to feed the habit.  One thing doesn't necessarily have to do with quilting, but it does sometimes figure in.  I have many types of stabilizer for machine embroidery and every time I need to use some, I've had to pick through a whole shelf of them (an upgrade from the basket I used to keep them in).  I noticed a clever over-the-door hanger just for stabilizer in an email from Nancy's Notions and I decided to order one.


It's easy to see what types of stabilizer I have and I no longer will have to spend precious sewing minutes searching for the one I need.  Plus, the hanger is out of sight and I had an empty shelf!

I have an AccuQuilt Go! cutter which hasn't been used as much as it should be.  I watched a few videos and was inspired to buy a BOB (block on board) die for making shoo fly blocks.  It came on Tuesday and yesterday I decided to give it a try and sew a test block. I picked a pink fat quarter and after searching through various other FQs decided on a yellow print that included pink.  Well.  After making the first one, it was so cute I used up the rest of those quarters and made two more. I decided these three were too cute to waste and I spent some time plowing through my fat quarter stash and came up with several more fabrics that would work.  I'm thinking a baby quilt or small lap quilt.


I know it's a poor picture because the sun is hitting the back row but you get the idea.  I love that the pieces come out of the Go! so perfectly and by putting the two colors together with right sides together I can start right in stitching and chain piece.  (Some of the pieces for the next three blocks can be seen in the bottom of the above picture.)

Here's a picture of the die.  It's called a BOB, block on board, because all the pieces needed for the block are on one die.  


I'm having fun!  And, gasp! I'm working on another quilt when I haven't finished the Yellow Brick Road baby quilt I was working on last week.  I am one of those weird quilters who always finishes a quilt before I start another one, but really, the top is done (see below) so technically I'm sorta done with it.  I'll just quilt these one after the other and be done with both lickety split!


And now to head down to my sewing room and crank out (literally!) a few more blocks! ♥

4 comments:

  1. Ha! So true. When you love your stash, you just can't waste the fabric. Glad you're practicing by making something.

    I have one of those over-the-door hangers from Nancy as well. In fact, I purchased an over-the-door shoe holder with clear vinyl pockets from Walmart to hold my sewing notions for about $5.00. The one for embroidery supplies was considerably more -- undoubtedly because of demand. Still, like you, I love being able to see -- and find -- my available supplies.

    Good post. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, while I was writing this post I wondered if you had the stabilizer hanger. Sure is handy, isn't it?

      I'm working away on the "unexpected" quilt. It's kinda fun and each part is sort of figure as I go. I think it will make a nice quilt to donate to the CareNet where they help women deal with unexpected pregnancies/babies.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I like over-the-door hangers. In fact, Nancy's Notions shows a hanger for rulers. I may indulge.

    Donating the "unexpected" quilt is a great idea. Did you make the receiving blankets for CareNet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the receiving blankets are for CareNet, too. Also I sometimes make fleece blankets with satin bindings. I guess making blankets is my "thang." :-)

      Delete