Hey, as promised, I'm back!!
Down in the sewing room, I finally got gutsy and decided I needed to quilt the window scene wall hanging using the Through the Winter Woods fabric. Yes, it had me buffaloed because it had light and dark sections and I'm an "all over" quilter girl and what color thread would work on both? Answer: none.
So Tuesday afternoon, I gathered myself together and came up with a plan. First I put the layers together and pin basted them, then I stitched in the ditch (right down the seam line for those not acquainted with the term) around the scenes and the window frame. Then I basted around the entire edge of the quilt and put it on my Handi-Quilter and using a brown variegated thread, stippled quilted the border. I changed to a cream thread and lightly stippled each scene and...I was done! And I'm happy with it. Turns out it's no big deal to change thread colors! What a dork I was about this!
I may stitch some lines through the window sill, but that'll just take a jiffy using my regular sewing machine.
I also finished the herringbone table runner from the same pattern book as the window wall hanging several weeks ago. It's not the best photo as the light was wrong in my sewing room and I was too lazy to drop the blinds.
I think I'll make two more projects from the book. Can you believe that, after almost forty-three years of marriage, we've never had a real Christmas tree skirt? There's one in the book I really like, so I hope to tackle it soon. Also, Ann gave me a jelly roll of this fabric for my birthday and there's a log cabin quilt, using those scene panels, that I believe I'll try. That will most likely be after Christmas, though.
Ah, the joys of being a quilter--there are always more patterns and fabrics calling to us! ♥
Just beautiful! I know it feels good to have made these decisions and finished the projects.
ReplyDeleteI find it difficult to take good pictures of handwork or other items whether the blinds are up or down. But I can still tell your end products are wonderful and will add warmth to your winter home.
While I have yet to call myself a quilter, I agree that there's always another pattern or fabric calling us. But knowing that keeps me in check. "Do I really love that?" I'll ask myself, and if I'm sitting on the fence, I let it go.
But there's a book I saw on Amazon that I just have to have --
Thanks, Kathy! I does indeed feel good. :-)
DeleteWhat's the book you just have to have? Inquiring minds truly want to know!
It's "Doll Couture" by Marsha Greenberg --re-purposing hankies, doilies, pillowcases, etc., to make outfits for 18-inch dolls. (Ms. Greenberg is also the author of "Hankie Couture," outfits for 12-inch fashion dolls.) These are ideas I look forward to pursuing for my own doll collection.
DeleteSounds good! I have put doll stuff aside for now. I think not having granddaughters to inspire me is one reason, but I'm sure I'll get back to them one of these days.
DeleteI have accepted the fact that I'm a collector of what I like. Sometimes I don't act on the ideas I purchase. Meanwhile, I enjoy looking at it.
DeleteWhat a nice birthday gift from Ann! Was it a surprise?