We spent last weekend in my hometown. Bruder Bear and Karen were up, niece Kirsten was over, and nephew JR flew in from his new job. We had such a good visit with everyone, and even stayed over, in the room next door to BB and Karen's, at the hotel for two nights. We spent the days at Mom and Dad's and we all pitched in and got some needed chores done. It's amazing that at almost ninety-one and eighty-eight-and-a-half, they are still in their own home. But there are many things that are simply beyond them now, and fortunately, John and Karen can simply say, "We're doing them." I'm not so good or persistent at saying it.
John, Dan and JR tackled chores of a Dad nature and Karen, Kirsten and I tackled the house. The amazing thing is that when you have a group that gets along like we all do, the work seems more like fun and there were plenty of laughs as well as groans (some of us aren't as young as we used to be). By Sunday night, things were looking great and Mom and Dad were so happy and thankful. We all stopped back by Monday morning to enjoy the fruits of our labors, and to try to talk them into hiring some help with the yard and house. I don't think we were very successful. Hopefully we'll "inspire" them through hounding. :-)
Meanwhile, here at the Resort, we've started working on some more much needed improvements. The focus this time is our bedroom, the closet, and our bathroom. Dan got started a few weeks ago, but it's been slow going due to his work schedule and other things that just pop up. We gutted our small walk-in closet and he's been able to scrape the "popcorn" off the ceiling, retexture, and paint it. Next up, we'll paint the walls and then redo the shelves and the hanging area. But, we're planning to put down hard floors in the bedroom and closet, so I guess we'll have to pick that out so he can put it down in the closet before he does the shelving. Hmmm... Note to self: get cracking on picking out flooring. (The problem is, I hate to shop, almost never go to town, and it's pretty obvious that in order to pick out the floor, I need to do both.)
I know you'll find the following pictures too thrilling for words, but here's a couple of before looks at the closet:
As I mentioned, it's small, but neither one of us has a lot of clothes, so it works, (However, I've watched those House Hunters shows on HGTV, and I can just hear the wife saying, "How will I ever get all my clothes in here? It's tiny. I'll have to use the guest room closet, too. I don't know where you'll put your clothes {said to the husband}." What does she do with all those clothes??)
No sewing has occurred of late, but I'm still having great fun with my knitting. I've even made some purchases. Love shopping in my jammies on the internet!! ♥
Did you have to have your popcorn ceiling tested for asbestos or were you certain it was asbestos-free? We had the people in to do that at our "new" house on Friday. We did bamboo floors in our condo. They look really nice and were priced competitively as well. I just hate cleaning them. Oh, the constant dust!
ReplyDeleteWe were sure it was okay. I've heard bamboo is good! Not sure what we're going with here, but must start looking. I know we'll deal with dust, but at least I'll be able to clean under the bed! It's a half day job now because our bed is too heavy to move, so we have to take everything apart. Sigh...
Delete