Well, I won't go into a long-winded paragraph on how quickly time is passing, but...it's February!
It's an absolutely gorgeous day outside. We have about four inches of snow (yay!), and sunshine. And it's supposed to be this way for a while, which is lovely as we've not had much winter this year. I just snapped this photo from my dining room window:
Dan's at an all-day men's thing at church today, so this day is all mine. They're even having dinner there, so I can play to my heart's content until eight or later! I see some sewing in my future, as well as some knitting. I'm working on another scarf just like this one and I'm enjoying it so much! I have leftover chicken parmesan and spinach tortellini in the frig, so I'm set for the day. Oh, but I do have to climb on the NordicTrak before all the fun can start.
The mention of the tortellini reminds me--we were in Coeur d'Alene for two days earlier this week (work stuff for Dan and I got to tag along), and we ran over to Spokane so we could hit Trader Joe's. I kinda like that funky little store! I'm surprised at how reasonable the prices are. That's where I picked up the package of tortellini, and I must say I'm in love with their boxes of granola. The sodium contents are low and the flavor is great! (I love to stir it into my yogurt.) I also found that they carry white whole wheat flour for a very reasonable price, so I bought a bag to give it a try. The only other brand I've tried is King Arthur's, but it's hard to get locally and I'm out.
Well, the NordicTrak awaits, so I'm off! ♥
Yes! Trader Joe's is fantastic! We also love the granola--my favorite is the pumpkin flax seed one. We have switched to almond milk and their unsweetened almond milk is the best. Another tip: stock up on the low sodium vegetable broth! It's cheaper than anywhere else and its WAY better. Oh, I could go on and on--we just got a TJs in our neighborhood a couple years ago and we love it. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip on the vegetable broth! I love it when I people I trust tell me about something they like. :-)
DeleteImagine--a Trader Joes right in the neighborhood! But I'm lucky to have Winco here in town so I'll not complain--and I don't have your traffic!
I've been using products from Joseph's Grainery out of Colfax. Mike and I try valiantly with whole wheat / whole grain products, but I notice when I buy any variety of white bread, Mike comments on how good it is.
ReplyDeleteWe're going to have Winco, too, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Do you have the bread machine cookbook _Bread Machine Baking_ by Lora Brody and Millie Apter? If you do, the recipe for Basic Whole Wheat Bread that starts on page 54 is yummy! I have a loaf going right now. :-)
DeleteNo -- I only have Bread Machine Magic by Rehberg and Conway. Maybe I should look for Bread Machine Baking.
DeleteI have that book and love it, but lately I've been using and enjoying the Brody book. It's an older book, from the '90s, and each recipe is customized to six or seven different brands, which is helpful; of course, my bread machine is over twenty years old.
DeleteOkay -- you talked me into it. Found it on Amazon, of course -- lots of used copies. It'll be here soon! Meanwhile I made some applesauce oatmeal bread.
DeleteIn that case, the Maple Buttermilk Bread (first recipe in the book) is to die for! Not whole wheat, but absolutely yummy. Is the applesauce oatmeal recipe from the Magic book?
DeleteI only use white whole wheat flour Chris, but I buy it whole and grind it. I'm very particular about my wheat flour, and you should be able to Montana Wheat Prairie Gold pretty cheaply up by you... it gets a little exorbitant when I have it trucked down south, but it's the best! I like hard spring wheat for bread, it has a higher gluten content than hard winter wheat.
ReplyDeleteAnother area where you have tempted me! But in reality, I don't think I'll ever grind my own flour. With my low sodium diet, bread is not an everyday treat. I was just on the Artisan Bread in 5 site yesterday checking to see if there's a low sodium alternative and there was lots of reading. I haven't made any in over a year, but now I'm thinking of doing some experimentation.
Delete