That's the name I've come up with for my Christmas quilt. As I look at it on my design wall, it reminds me of the hard candy so prevalent when I was small--ribbon candy and round flat disks with a design in the middle. The colors all sort of swirled around and that's what they do in this quilt. So far, anyway.
I have enjoyed using my new Accuquilt GO! to cut. By layering and using both fabrics, one run through cuts all the pieces for each block. I've used fat quarters of the Sentiments fabric and some scraps of older fabrics I had in my stash that blended. Each block is different.
Here's one in progress:
And here are two as I ponder the sashing:
Here's a view of four of the five rows before I began adding the sashing:
Don't they remind you of that swirly candy? I have three rows complete with sashing now and hope to have the whole top joined tomorrow. Then there'll be the border fabric to decide on. This whole quilt has been decided upon one step at a time, even though I did create a prototype in the quilt program part of my Explorations software. (I gave myself permission to change the plan at each point, but it's turned out looking pretty much like I originally planned.)
Funny you should mention that old-time candy. I remember pretty little suckers with swirly flowers and leaves in the center. We use those decoratively and after Christmas I was allowed to eat them. I haven't seen those in years, though Brach's has Christmas candy that's reminiscent of those suckers.
ReplyDeleteYour quilt is lovely. You have such great equipment -- a computer program, a design wall, and now your Accuquilt GO! I was wishing for a quilt design program. Someone suggested plotting a quilt with graph paper, and I just had to think there are faster, easier ways.
Yes, I am blessed with great quilting accessories! I bought the Explorations software originally for the alphabets it had for machine embroidery, and when I upgraded it, was pleased to find it came with the quilt program. I do use it when I'm creating my own patterns. I've used graph paper in the past, but as you say, this is (much!) faster and easier. Plus I can put in fabrics and get a better view.
DeleteMy design wall is one you can have in an instant--or close to it! It's a picnic table cloth with a flannel backing! I just tacked it up and it's so nice to have. Easy to remove or move, too! JoAnn's has the same stuff for sale by the yard, so you could have one this afternoon.
The GO! is something I really didn't think I could justify, but I'm finding I really like it. The fact that I can roll out pieces for a block so easily and precisely is making it worth it.
I'm afraid if I tried to make a quilt that involved, I'd probably be in over my head. But I appreciate that you do it. I now have four "easy to piece" kits in my cupboard. The good news is that I think I can handle that.
DeleteHey Kath, sorry I didn't get back to you on this earlier.
DeleteNow you're all set for your winter sewing--Ina would be proud!
WOW Chris that is going to be gorgeous, what fantastic fabrics you chose!
ReplyDeleteSo what's your opinion on die cutting now that you've tried it?
Thanks, CJ! This whole quilt has been an experiment as I go along, so I'm thrilled you think it looks good!
DeleteI think this die cutting is pretty cool! I love that I can cut one whole bock at a time with the die that came with my GO! (makes an 8" block) and I'm looking forward to more experimenting after the new year.