Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mid August

Apparently I crossed paths with a cold germ sometime last week and it liked me well enough to stay.  Sunday morning I was fine, but as I walked into church, I felt a little niggle in the back of my throat.  I thought it was because I'd caught of whiff of someone's aftershave (unfortunately, I'm allergic to most of them), but by the time church was over my throat was really bothering me. After lunch I took a big nap, but awoke feeling no better. By Monday morning, I was miserable.  I've learned through the years, that if I succumb to a cold bug, the best thing I can do is sleep, and this time that's all I wanted to do.  Yesterday I finally pulled on some clothes in time to eat dinner.  It's been a slow recovery, frustrated I think, by all the smoke from fires and dust from harvest.  I still have a cough that almost rattles the house...

Before I fell prey to the germ, I was enjoying some sewing.  Last week I posted a picture of a pumpkin embroidery and said I was pondering what to make with it.  After trying some fabrics out, I realized the design didn't have enough punch to be a star attraction, but it would be perfect as an accent.  I dug into my pile of tea towels and came up with a perfect match.



I also got started on a new set of pillowcases for our bed. The main fabric is part of Moda's Urban Cowgirl line and the machine embroidered "Sweet Dreams" on the cuff fabric is from OESD's pack Words of Wisdom.  Hopefully I'll get back to them in a few days.


Obviously not much knitting has gone on this week, so there'll be no OTN post tomorrow.  I did get a few rounds done though.  

8 comments:

  1. Sorry you were sick but I thought you were feeling better.

    You were right about the pumpkin design. It *is* as great accent. I love it against that plaid. A great touch for your autumn kitchen.

    The pillowcases are great, too. I've been looking at the vintage Halloween fabric by Red Rooster. I'm not sure I want to make a whole quilt and I'm not experienced enough to know what yardages to buy. Pillowcases might be good . . . or maybe I'll just break down and buy the quilt kit.

    Kathy, who is remembering to subscribe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan for embroidery club this month was to do the pillowcases. We've done them before, don't remember when, but they're always good for home and gifts. I made the set on our bed now probably ten or twelve years ago and they're getting pretty faded. Still love them, though.

      Halloween quilt? I say if you can just buy the kit, go for it. There's a reason kits are so popular--the decision making is done for you and that's sometimes more than half the work.

      I am feeling better but this ratted cough is making my bells chime!!

      Delete
    2. As far as I'm concerned,you could hold that pillowcase thought until September and I'll make it a point to be there. I would love to make pillowcases but somehow I don't get started. I guess I need a confidence booster. How many yards of fabric do I need to make a pair of pillowslips?

      I think it makes sense to buy the kit. The fabrics have been designed as a unit and the quilt has been designed to showcase the fabrics. Without some other well-defined idea, it's really a great way to go. I'm sure a beginner can do it. (I may be a beginner forever, and there's nothing wrong with that either.)

      Delete
    3. Okay, we'll do the pillowcases in September. I told Karen to put your name down for the Christmas wall hanging. I'll check this week to see how that class is looking and let you know.

      So, did you order the kit? :-) And I agree--there's nothing wrong with being a beginner--many people never get that far--and with each project you *will* add to your skills.

      Delete
    4. Yay! Pillowcases. What fun!

      I ordered the kit this morning from Creative Quilt Kits -- a little less expensive than some outlets. Leaving nothing to chance, I even ordered the backing. I also found a quilt pattern in Easy Quilts for which the "Halloween Masquerade" line was suggested, but I'll stick with the kit.

      This week I hope to actually quilt my Christmas quilt. I guess it's a buffalo.

      Delete
    5. Glad you ordered the kit. If you hadn't, you'd always wished you had. How's the buffalo hunting going?? :-)

      Delete
    6. I love the "Love, Live, Laugh." This is the first I noticed it.

      I ordered the "Halloween Masquerade" kit from Creative Quilt Kits. They called to say they have a kit for me but the fabric I selected for the backing is back ordered. Per my instructions they are going to hold the order until they have the backing I want.

      My studio is a buffalo right now as I try to find space for everything I love. Are we supposed to love things? No -- but things represent ideas and we do love ideas.

      Mike leaves tomorrow, and I hope the room is straightened enough so that I can tackle that other buffalo. I'll put my machine on the kitchen table and sew there while he's gone. Sounds like a plan . . .

      Delete
    7. I just added the "Love..." yesterday so you're right on top of it. :-)

      I'm with you on the sewing studio. I'd like to do some work on mine but I don't quite know what to do. Dan says he'll build, but we have other projects which are more pressing. I did do some moving of things a month or so ago and it helped. I need order and it's sometimes hard to come by with everything I have in there.

      Sounds like you have a plan for the next few days that will be fun. Enjoy!!

      Delete