Every year our school district hosts an all-schools fifth and sixth grade track meet. Needless to say, I've been to my share of them! This year's, however, was the best: I got to watch Cameron run and I wasn't in charge of twenty-five students for three plus hours. :-)
Dan and I drove to Ann's house where we plunked Daniel in his stroller, and the four of us set out for the track which was only blocks away. The day was sunny but cool, perfect for both the walk and the meet. Our timing was also perfect as they were calling Cameron's first race as we entered the grounds. He was competing in two relay races and as we settled in, we saw his team lining up, and then watched him run across the way to be in position for his leg. They won!
We had a while to wander before his next race, so I enjoyed visiting with my former teaching partners and my principal. (I must confess it was fun to show Daniel off, too!) Then it was time for Cameron's second race. He was again running clean-up, and had to go one and a half times around the track for his leg. When he got the baton, his team was in fifth place. He held steady around the first turn, and then took off, passing them all in short order. He finished first with a quarter of the track distance between him and the second place runner. He sure doesn't take after his Grammy! Ann says all the training his soccer coaches put them through paid off.
And the other finish? My table runner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No amount of any kind of training would have made me an athlete. In adulthood I did learn to run several miles at a time, but a competitor I was not.
ReplyDeleteThe runner is just lovely on your table. I can tell that there's a dimensional element to the design. Very pretty.
Several miles?? Be still my pounding heart!! I tried jogging about twenty-five years ago and didn't last long. I'm no athlete either. BUT we have other admirable skills!! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the complement on the runner. I'm thinking I might do a little more quilting on it. I "stitched in the ditch" on this one and with the color differences, it's a little tricky. I'll see how brave I feel tomorrow...or the next day.
Oh, and that would be compl*i*ment. Good gravy!!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how those misspelled words creep in. Well, even if you do more quilting, it probably won't change the basic dimensional appearance that we see in the photograph.
ReplyDeleteI forgot to say congratulations to Cameron on his races. I so enjoyed watching Hallie run.
I can guarantee Cameron didn't get his running ability from me. I get winded after a block!
ReplyDelete