For a week or so I was having strange problems with signing into Blogger so I could comment on blogs. When prompted to sign in, things kept going in circles. I finally figured out how to do a work around, but then even that didn't work. And more problems surfaced: I couldn't log into our spam files, work emails for Dan weren't showing up, and then finally I couldn't log into my blog. The information from Google that would come up was very confusing and I finally talked to son-in-law Eric about it.
I need to explain that the running joke around here is, "Marry our daughter, fix our computers." Those are of course, Dan's words. :-) Anyway, several years ago we needed to change internet providers because we were finally going to go high-speed. Yay!!! Our choices were exactly one because of where our house is located. Eric's family has had their own domain name for quite a while and Eric volunteered to set us up with accounts that would be ours no matter where we got the internet. In other words, our address could stay the same if we were able/decided to switch. We said yes. We then threw a kink into the works and asked him to set it up so Dan's email also came through on mine so I could read it when he's out of town (in the woods). Bless Eric's heart, he was able to do that.
Down to this week: apparently Google and all its subsidiaries reworked things and didn't like how my account was set up. So, they blocked me!! The fix was supposedly easy, but I couldn't get it to work, and hence the call to Eric.
After hours of work and research on Thursday night, he finally was finally able to resolve it by getting me a whole new account with gmail so I could log into my blog, and managed to salvage my original email name for everything else. So now, depending on what I'm doing, I log in one way or the other. Small price to pay. Once again, Eric is my hero and I'm sure I owe him a big batch of cookies. And I owe Ann a lunch out because she lost a whole evening of his company as he worked to bail her mom out.
Computers: can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Or something like that... And oh yes: In the course of Eric's research on Thursday night, he discovered that many others were also having the same problems and there was much frustration (ie: anger) in cyberspace aimed at Google.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hmmmm. Glad it was resolved. Hope it stays that way. I think most of us need someone we can turn to for tech support. We just don't all have it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Eric is always willing to help. Hopefully, he looks at it as a puzzle to solve. :-)
ReplyDeleteDarn technology! My computer was involved in a lawsuit settlement based on common failures. While the problems with the computer WERE annoying, I've now been without a laptop for over 12 weeks waiting to receive a replacement. Not sure which is worse. Nick is nice and he's been sharing his computer with me. I hope everything is running smoothly for you now!
ReplyDeleteOh Hallie, twelve weeks? That's terrible! Good thing you married Nick, huh? :-) But really, what terrible customer service.
ReplyDeleteI'm still having problems logging in when I want to make comments on my own blog, but I'm waiting to see how it pans out. Darn technology for sure!