Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Those Cookies...

Kathy and Hallie both remarked on the cookies several posts back so I'm sharing the recipe. Daughter Ann shared it with me--it was one of Eric's grandmother's recipes and it's definitely a keeper.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mix thoroughly:
  • 2/3 cup margarine
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla

Sift and stir in:

  • 3 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Stir in:

  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup peanut butter chips

Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Makes about 4 dozen cookies using the medium Pampered Chef cookie scoop.

Note: I make a change in the shortening: I use 1/2 cup real butter, 1/2 cup margarine, and 1/3 cup shortening. I usually freeze most of the cookies and put some out each day, but nevertheless, they stay "soft" (as opposed to crisp) even if left in the cookie jar for several days.

As to the cookie scoop, for years I poo-pooed the idea of using one. Finally Ann convinced me it was the way to go and I bought one. Oh my! If you don't own one, GO GET ONE! They are so worth it. She also sold me on the large one for muffins and it too is more than worth it. Some of the best money I've ever spent. And now my commercial ends. :-)

Enjoy the cookies!

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... scratch and sniff appears to be malfunctioning on your blog! LOL

    A cookie scoop? Okay, I gotta go check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it's not, CJ - you just missed the right area...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! A vintage cookie recipe. Peanut butter chips are now on my grocery list.

    Years ago I bought a scoop that I use for cookie making. When I downsized to two houses, I bought another scoop for the farm. I don't know if they're genuine cookie scoops, but they do the trick. I am not one with an innate knack for uniformity, so I appreciate the help of a scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh -- and I forgot to ask -- what prompted you to alter the shortening? Nick likes oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and I have been searching for a recipe more like a commercial cookie. Why? I don't know -- it's a quest.

    ReplyDelete