Friday, August 13, 2010

A Birthday and a Baby Orca

While we were on vacation last week, I had a birthday. Dan had been so busy before we left, and was so relaxed now that we were on vacation, he completely forgot. Ann got up and when she found me in the living room, wished me a happy birthday. Dan got a shocked look on his face and confessed his forgetfulness. I didn't care. Actually, birthdays are no big deal to either of us anymore. We don't really have need of anything, and parties have never been our thing, so . . . When I got my 830 in April, I laughingly told Dan to consider it my present for Mother's Day, birthday, anniversary, etc. Everything except Christmas. I have to have presents at Christmas!! Ann told me my present from them was back home as she didn't want to haul it all the way over and then back again, so we just continued to enjoy our vacation.

The day we left, we got in the ferry line very early, remembering our five-hour wait on the trip over. On Orcas, there are a few little tourist shops near the dock so we investigated several of them. Later, Ann and I waited at a nearby picnic table and while Eric and the boys continued to shop and Dan explored the "countryside". In a little while the boys came back and Keaton handed me a bag and said, "Happy birthday," as Cameron chimed in. I opened the bag to find a little stuffed baby orca! They told me they wanted to buy it for me so I'd remember our trip. And then they hugged me. Don't you know this Grammy's eyes got a little misty!



Her name is Olga, after the little village by our farmhouse.



4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!!!! I think Olga would look FABULOUS sitting next to Moby Stitch! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Olga! And what a nice memento of your vacation. You mean there wasn't a quilt shop on that island?!!

    I agree about birthdays! I'm not much interested in celebrating birthdays for adults, especially if I'm the one planning the party. And I don't believe we benefit by dwelling on how old we're getting. But -- not everyone agrees with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you, no matter how late I am getting back to check blogs. Know that you're a dear blogger friend and good wishes always come your way.

    And Olga, well, she can help with those misty eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the birthday wishes! I never thought I'd be this old (LOL!), but it's not bad at all. :-) The gift of getting to live this long is truly a wonderful thing, and I fully count on many more years with my wonderful family and friends. And Olga.

    ReplyDelete