I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. We did. Mom and Dad, Ann, Eric, Cameron and Keaton, and my nephew JR were all able to come for a picnic dinner. Easter dinner is hard to do because we're always at church in the morning, so several years ago I finally hit on the idea of having a picnic dinner. A spiral cut ham from Costo (heated in the oven on timed bake), several salads (fruit, marinaded bean, and pasta), olives and pickled beets, and rolls. Lots of rolls. Homemade rolls are BIG in our family. Here's a picture of the pan I made for Sunday:
And here's the recipe:
Polish Bread
Combine:
2 cups warm water
2 packages yeast
Beat together:
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup oil
Add above to yeast and water and then add 6 1/2 to 7 cups of flour. I often use up to half whole wheat, and this time I tried some of the King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour. (I use my 6-qt Kitchenaid mixer to make the dough.)
Let rise, punch down and shape, and let raise again. Bake at 350 20-25 minutes (check).
Makes two large loaves, or three dozen rolls.
If you're wondering what we had for dessert, it was two Cyrus O'Leary pies--lemon meringue and Kahlua Creme. The rolls must be homemade; the pies, not so much.
Oh my those look tasty! My family loves rolls too, they always request I make a bunch of them.
ReplyDeleteGlad the weather cooperated for your Easter picnic!
I admire your uniformity. I'll do the pies -- also not uniform -- and leave the rolls to someone else. A maker of bread I am not. But -- when I do -- my efforts are generally appreciated. I made several batches of hot cross buns prior to Easter and Mike and I ate both of them. For the first, I added 1 3/4 cups water instead of 1 1/3. (Toldja I'm not a maker of bread.) As you might expect, the rolls were a little flat but tasty just the same. The second batch went well.
ReplyDeleteChris, Do you think your recipe can be cut in half? I thought I heard that with things involving yeast/chemistry, that doubling or halving a recipe didn't always work. I would like to try homemade rolls, but that recipe would be far too many!
ReplyDeleteCJ, the weather was cold and blustery. We picnicked at the dining room table!!
ReplyDeleteHallie, I think you could certainly cut the recipe in half. Every thing is even, so I'd give it a try!
Kathy, I just start by cutting the dough in half, then half, and so on. Technically, I only make 35 rolls, seven rows of five, so I kinda fudge the last few, cutting and adding little pieces to the last ones.
I don't mind making pies, but with church and the rolls, ham, etc., it's just easier to buy the pies for this holiday. Thanksgiving and Christmas are homemade for sure, but then pumpkin pie is super easy.