Literally! A week or so ago an old buddy of Dan's called to ask if he would come look at his tamarack trees which he grows for seed. Some of them seemed to be in distress. So last Friday, a week ago, Dan headed down to check things out. He mentioned that Rich said he'd send back some peaches for me. Yes! Years ago I got all my peaches from Rich and they were just the best. Each August for the last few years I've thought I would get down to his orchard and get some, but alas, it never seemed to happen.
When Dan got home, he asked me to come look in his truck. He opened the back door and there sat four huge boxes of peaches! Four! And a gunny sack with twenty-two ears of corn! Oh my goodness! I called Ann and asked if she'd like some of each and she was happy to say yes.
Saturday morning right after breakfast I went to work on a peach pie. It's my absolute favorite. The peaches were gorgeous and huge. I hopped into the shower and by the time I was out, Ann and Keaton had arrived to claim their bounty. We worked it out and I was thrilled when she agreed to take two boxes and a bunch of the corn. She went home to begin canning and I began to freeze some. By the time Tuesday was over, we'd totalled up twenty-one quarts canned (Ann), twenty-two containers frozen (me), two peach pies (me), many eaten out of hand (both houses), and twenty jars of jam (me).
Here are a couple of pictures of our bounty.
And the corn? It was absolutely the best I've ever tasted. We had it three nights in a row and Ann's family had it two nights. So sweet and delicious. Mmmm... ♥


A lot of work but so satisfying. So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteYes, it was a bit of work, but as you say, so satisfying. I thought maybe we'd get a box and then when it turned out to be four I was kinda overwhelmed and was so glad Ann wanted in. Her pear tree had no pears this year so she was happy to have the peaches to can.
DeleteI am overwhelmed when suddenly I'm faced with unexpected produce to process. You handled it well.
DeleteWe have an old pear tree with no fruit this year. And it's not a good apple year either. Even the elderberries don't look good. Just an off year, I guess.
2020 an off year? Haha! (I couldn't resist.)
DeleteSo true! But did the fruit trees have to shut down, too?
Delete