Friday, May 22, 2020

What Ho!

I know, what a strange title! But there's a reason behind my madness.  I've been having the most fun reading books on my iPad Kindle app and I discovered a wonderfully entertaining book series set in circa 1910 England. It's the Lady Hardcastle mystery series by T.E. Kinsey and each one kept me happily reading from start to finish.  Lady Emily Hardcastle and her diminutive Welsh maid, Florence Armstrong, have stolen my heart and now that I've read all six in the series, I'm going to have to wait until December when the next book comes out.  Drat!! Looking for a good read?  Look no further (with the added plus of all those ridiculously fun British sayings like, "What ho!"). 

Having finished with Lady H and Flo, I went to our overstocked shelves in the family room and set about to look for a familiar read.  Back in the '70s, M.M. Kaye achieved fame with her book, The Far Pavilions and while I do like that one, my favorite of her books is Shadow of the Moon.  


My copy has held up well, but it's old by paperback standards, so yesterday Dan encouraged me to look online for a hardback.  Done, and done.  Meanwhile, ol' trusty and I will once again head to the India of the 1850s.  For those of you who love stories with an historical background, this one will satisfy.   

Meanwhile, I'm excited to announce that I was able to get my haircut yesterday and feel like a new woman! It's amazing what a haircut will do, especially when it's been forced to be put off far beyond normal time.  

I also need to confess that having been confined to home for all these weeks has led me to shoe shopping on line and I've purchased not one, not two, but three new pairs of shoes in the last month.  A new high (or low??) for me!!  However, I am unrepentant and am enjoying wearing each and every pair.  


The pair above matches my new purse and I feel quite coordinated when setting out to the grocery store!!  ♥


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I remember reading Far Pavillions ages ago. The Hardcastle series sounds wonderful. I love period pieces. I'm considering reading them. At least one of them. The shoes are adorable. Those are my style. Enjoy your weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What cute shoes! I just have to try on shoes before I buy, and as we know, the ability to do that is slipping away.

    Thanks for the book recommendations. You never steer us wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Zappos? I have ordered from them for years. Free delivery and free returns, and they usually arrive in two days! I think I got all three pairs on sale, too.

      Delete