Friday, May 15, 2020

And in the Kitchen

Well, here we are, finishing up week eight (or is it nine?) of this quarantine, and I'm thankful I'm still actually enjoying coming up with two meals a day (we're both on our own for lunch because we're never hungry at the same time).  Our food is holding out well, and we've made several trips to the store at low volume times.  

I've heard that before this is over, we'll all have added the Covid 19, meaning adding nineteen additional pounds.  I hope not!!  But I will say that desserts have come into play way more than usual around here. Homemade pudding, peach shortcake, cookies, pie. . . Yum!!

The other day I noticed my fruit bowl had some fruit that should have been used earlier.  A couple of lonely bananas reminded me of a recipe I got from my Aunt Betty Jane, back in my high school days.  I stopped by her house one day and she was making them and allowed me to copy the recipe with the comment that the handwriting was her younger son's when he was home one day and wanted to help in some way.  So, this is a recipe from sometime in the 1940s.  

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup mashed bananas
1 3/4 cups quick oats
1/2 cup nuts

Mis together flour, sugar, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut in shortening (I just use my Kitchenaid and it does the work).  Add egg, banana, oats and nuts. Beat until thoroughly blended.  Drop on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400° about 13-15 minutes.  Remove immediately.  Makes 3 1/2 dozen.  


I used to like to make these just before the kids came home from school and have them ready with a glass of milk for a tasty snack.  Memories. . .

And then yesterday, I took some less than stellar looking apples and turned them into a yummy apple pie.  I don't even remember the last time I made an apple pie.  Dan was in heaven.  


Today I have some blueberries that I need to turn into a coffee cake for tomorrow's breakfast.  And Sunday's, too!  Bon appetit!  ♥

3 comments:

  1. Yum to all you've mentioned. The banana cookies sound divine ! I used my over-ripe banana for my berry smoothie. It made the smoothie very sweet but I finished it anyway. I don't want to think about how much weight I have gained since the quarantine. Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good cookies! Soft and homely and maybe even a bit healthy? I never get on the scales, if my jeans still fit, I'm happy! {Smile} Hope you have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
    2. You shared that recipe with me when I was first married. We have enjoyed it, too.

      I frequently cook with apples. Recnetly I had apples and blueberries at the same time, so I made apple-blueberry pie. We love it.

      I may gain that 19 pounds, but I'm convinced Mike will never gain again.

      Delete