For those of you fortunate enough to have never experienced a kidney stone, count your blessings. I had my first one back about 1980 and had no idea what was happening, only that I was in extreme pain. And it didn't help a bit at the ER when the nurse said they couldn't give me anything for it because the pain was their only clue as to what was going on. Well!! (We don't live near that hospital anymore, thank goodness!)
My second go around was in 2005. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain and finally woke Dan up to take me to the ER. On the way there, I said to him that this was reminiscent of that long ago day and I thought I knew what was going on. Bingo!! It passed and I was thankful, but exactly four weeks later the same thing happened. After a week of drugs and no relief, it was determined that this one was too big to pass and so surgery to retrieve it was required. They decided the one four weeks previous was probably a piece that broke off this giant one.
I had another a few years ago and then again yesterday. Last night about eight I told Dan I'd had all the fun I could stand so off to the ER we went again. I'm so thankful to live in a town with a hospital with such a great staff. Everyone there was so kind and helpful. They did a CT scan and the good news is that there don't seem to be any more biggies lurking around, and this one passed this morning. I'm hoping for a lifetime reprieve!!!
Meanwhile, I wonder what people did in the "olden days?" I can't even bear to think about it.
I'm sorry to hear that you had this painful experience. Hopefully you're free of it now.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how they treated it in the old days. I remember in the 1960 timeframe that someone my parents knew had kidney stones that she passed without surgery. They observed that it must have been painful.
I had never heard of them until I was "visited" by my first. Thankfully most of mine have passed on their own and powerful drugs have helped with the pain.
Delete