Tuesday, March 12, 2019

And . . . It's Still Winter!

Yes, indeedy, it's still all white and cold out there.  And it's even officially Spring Break at all the area schools!  I notice many people have headed for warmer climes for the week.  Our neighbor, sporting a deep suntan, brought over a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts yesterday to thank Dan for plowing their driveway numerous times while they vacationed in sunny Hawaii. I'm proud to say I wasn't even jealous!  Oh, and did I mention that it's snowed all day?  Yup, still coming down.  

Dan and I spent several days in Coeur d'Alene last week while he attended meetings and I lounged in luxury in our room overlooking the lake at the Coeur d'Alene Resort.  Several people asked me if I planned to shop and the answer was, "No."  I went to relax and read and snooze, and I did all three.  It was a great time!  We did it last year for the same meetings, and plan to do it again next year.  Yay!!

Cameron is settling into his new life is Rwanda.  It was a huge culture shock and it turns out that while they usually have some trainees from Europe and America, this time he is the only one.  All the rest come from various countries in Africa and though they all speak a little English, most don't speak it well.  It's a nine-hour time difference from here (it was ten before daylight savings time), so connecting takes some work.  So thankful for email and smart phones!

Cam and the other trainees

And speaking of daylight savings time, let me just say that I HATE it!  Please, can we not just pick one time and stick with it?  As far as I can tell, no one is a fan of this continual change.  I read a good op ed while in Coeur d'Alene that said those who tout it by saying the farmers are for it are lying deluded.  Farmers hate it! Just makes for longer days as they wait for crops to dry out, and cows and other animals are not fooled and follow their usual routine.  My theory?  Those who want to golf after work are behind the whole thing.  Oh yeah--and the supposed energy savings?  Not exactly true.  Studies show it a dead even or maybe even uses a little more.  I grew up without daylight savings time and seemed to live quite well that way, as did everyone else I knew.  

And that's my soapbox for the week!  ♥

3 comments:

  1. Adjusting to the time change is always a challenge, and I'm reading that a number of states want to stop this constant switching. But how long will it take to change it?

    Yes, I thought you were going to go to the quilt shop that's across the street from the Toyota dealership, or something. But -- it was your vacation, so it's good to hear you enjoyed it.

    We look forward to hearing more about life in Rwanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip to the quilt store didn't quite work out, but I don't know if I would have bought anyway. I'm still working away on the snowy day quilt and then there are those doll dresses waiting to be made. . .

      Delete
    2. I think it's good not to plan too far ahead. I plan lots of projects and I don't get much done.

      Delete