Thursday, December 13, 2018

Christmas Cards


One of my earliest memories is helping Mom put stamps on the Christmas cards she was sending out.  We lived in the little duplex downtown so I was probably four or five.  As I recall, out-of-town cards required a three-cent stamp and in-town a two-cent.  And I remember many cards coming from in-town friends addressed to us with name, box number, and simply "City" for the town because in those long ago and more efficient days, the local post office actually handled the mail and local stuff never left the post office.  Ahh, the good ol' days . . .

Anyway, back in the day, cards were a vital part of the Christmas holiday.  And decorating.  Everyone displayed their cards as they arrived, usually by mounting them on a wall or around a door frame.  It was so fun to read the cards, especially those from far away friends and family. 

I began sending (or passing out) Christmas cards when I was in high school.  Seemed like such a grown-up thing to do, plus I loved anything having to do with Christmas.  So of course as a newly married wife, I continued the tradition for my new "family".  And I do to this day.  Fewer and fewer people send cards, but I still love receiving them although I confess that the process of sending them out looms larger and larger with each passing year.  It is often when I am reminded that sometimes I'm not a very patient person because you just can't hurry the process if you want to be personal. Some thought and time, and handwriting, must go into it, even if a printed letter is enclosed.  Some people have a gift for the perfect comments to add.  I do not.  Still, I must try.

And so, today I will start the actual process.  I wrote the letter over the weekend and printed it out.  It's laying right beside me, reminding me to get with it!  Soon my breakfast nook table will look like this, right down to the coffee cup.

Christmas cards 2017

Let the signing begin!! ♥

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nostalgic post. I certainly remember all of the above. Cards came from near and far and were an important part of Christmas togetherness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! As more and more arrived, Christmas became more real. They were like the harbinger of the season. And I loved the pictures on the fronts of the cards.

      Delete
    2. The card exchange was a great feeling of community goodwill, and I think it was important. Mother and Daddy had separate Christmas card lists, and they wrote personal letters to those friends from their pasts. I guess it was an effort, but the payback was great. I think it began to change in the '70s -- even before social media.

      Delete