It's been a while since I had a food related blog. Over the holidays I was busy in the kitchen but most of my efforts were directed toward Christmas: cookies, breads, and of course the holiday dinner itself. My everyday cooking was just to get food on the table: edible and norishing, but very basic.
Now that the holidays are behind us (or long ahead of us!), I've been having lots of fun with our everyday meals. The electric pressure cooker has been getting a workout (more on that later) and other lovely vessels have made appearances. First up is this beautiful cinnamon Staub 4-Qt Dutch oven I fell prey to last fall.
It was on a terrific sale at King Arthur Flour and I couldn't resist. I made a yummy elk stew in it. It's supposed to be excellent for baking artisan bread, but I have yet to test that. Soon, though!
Next up is another beauty. A stoneware roaster from Pamper Chef that was a gift a few years ago from my adorable daughter.
It makes the most incredibly delicious scalloped potatoes! I used up the last of the Easter ham (found in the back of the freezer) and made short work of the potatoes with a mandoline. We all know I'm a potato lover, and these made me swoon over their yumminess. The recipe is an old one from my trusty red plaid BH&G wedding present cookbook.
I've been drinking my coffee from a fun new mug that was part of my Christmas from Ann and family. (For someone who never drank coffee until she was thirty-five years old, I've certainly made up for it since.) The mug is a Pioneer Woman design. Love the polkadots and the sunny yellow base.
Green Mountain Coffee has a seasonal selection called Pumpkin Spice that I've been enjoying since the first of December. With Creme Brulee creamer, it's like pumpkin pie in a cup! A few weeks ago I swooped up five more boxes on closeout so I'm set for a while longer.
And onto the pressure cooker. It's gotten a good workout since the new year began including more yogurt, cheesecake, steamed butternut squash, and some very yummy baked beans. While I still love and use my stovetop pressure cooker, I love that I can chop up a squash, program the cooker, and let it go while I work on the rest of dinner without a worry. Did just that last night while I made turkey enchiladas which are somewhat labor intensive since I make the sauce from scratch. No boilovers! ♥

No comments:
Post a Comment