Ever since Dan put the new lift in my sewing cabinet I've been like a woman with a whole new persepective on sewing. I think it's because it's so easy to switch between embroidery and regular sewing. Whatever, I've been having fun in my sewing room and that makes me smile.
A couple of quilters I have followed for years did a "24 Days of Christmas" on Instagram (no, I'm not on there, but I can view) and they inspired me no end. Each day of December they posted pictures of quilts and other stitcheries in Christmas vignettes. I got new ideas for my own decorating and ideas for new projects, so to my sewing room I went.
First up was this simple little quilt for our bedroom dresser. I used fabrics from the Christmas quilt I made a couple of years ago.
Next up, I decided it was time to get a tree skirt made! After forty-four years of marriage, I needed to do this. I had purchased more of the Through the Winter Woods fabric to make the skirt in the book by the same name, but then discovered the skirt was huge--like six feet across which is much too large for where our tree sits. I had thought of trying to scale the pattern down, but it had so many pieces it just seemed to be too much to contemplate so I did nothing. Until this week when I decided I had to prevail and get with the program. I looked through my books and patterns and found Happy Holidays by Atkinson Designs. Right there on the front was a tree skirt that would work perfectly.
I used the Winter Woods fabrics and a few scraps from other projects and got the top done Saturday. As usual, Terry Atkinson's directions were perfect (her methods are genius--I don't know how she figures out such clever ways to cut and sew) and a top made of equilateral triangles came together perfectly.
I just finished quilting it and now will get to the binding. Stay tuned for a final viewing! ♥
I can hardly wait for the final viewing. Lovely fabrics. Beautiful work!
ReplyDeleteI crocheted a bright red tree skirt some years ago. It's a little large, but come to think of it, I could alter it easily. My mother made a tree skirt of white felt that had green holly leaf elves on it. A tree skirt is nice.
I'm thinking it's time to retire the white sheet that's been tastefully wound around the base for lo these many years. LOL The binding is attached and I'm half way done handstitching it to the backside. Hopefully the final viewing will be tomorrow. :-)
DeleteI meant to pick up on your comment that you were having fun in your sewing room. It's amazing how the change in some seemingly small detail can make all the difference. And it's true that sometimes the projects we undertake aren't fun. They're tedious to sew or they don't turn out as we hope or indecision rules -- whatever. But it should be fun at this time in our lives.
ReplyDeleteYes, it should be fun! And I'm still amazed that the lift changeout has made such a difference. I'm pondering a couple of new projects but haven't quite decided yet. Meanwhile, lemon cheesecake is about to come out of the pressure cooker!!
Delete