Well, hey there! Yes, it's me. And it's December. The house is all decorated and the cards are sent. I'm enjoying the season and puttering away with little projects. And I finished a big one!
I finally quilted the big Through the Winter Woods quilt I started last winter (seen here and here) over Thanksgiving and then got the binding on over the next week. Ann and Eric and boys were here for Thanksgiving and Ann was able to quilt a top she made years ago, so we congratulated ourselves over our accomplishments. Two big buffalos down!
Another big yahoo took place this last weekend. When I got my humongous Bernina 830 a few years ago, I knew it was too heavy to use with the lift in my sewing cabinet so Dan locked it into position so I could have the bed of the machine even with the cabinet top and built a box to lift it up when I wanted to embroider. It worked, but it was a chore to lift that 45 pound machine in and out, so I often didn't. I'd put off embroidering or I'd muddle along sewing without having the machine even with the cabinet top. Last summer I wondered if it would be possible to order just a heavy duty lift and after checking the internet, found one. We ordered it and it's been in a box under a table in my sewing room. Until Saturday. Can I just say I am thrilled? It has rejuvenated my sewing mojo and I'm one happy sewer.
So, Saturday night I just had to embroider something. The new lift worked perfectly and up popped my machine, ready for the embroidery unit. I dug out my huge jumbo hoop, found a piece of Osnaburg and began a one color Christmas wreath I've been wanting to make for several years. I didn't even know what I would do with it, but I decided the time had come to stitch it and stitch I would. I toyed with several colors and went with my favorite dark red. When I was done, I decided to make it into a pillow with fabrics left from the Winter Woods quilt. Several hours and five presser feet later, I was done. Here's a photo of the quilt and the pillow.
Five presser feet? Yup! The quarter inch foot for the seams, an all purpose foot for the zigzaging the Osnaburg edges, the ruffler for the ruffle, the buttonhole foot and the button sew-on foot for the closure on the pillow back. And oh yeah--the embroidery foot for the design. Guess that's six! ♥
And it's just stunning! I enjoyed making that pillow at embroidery club. Have thought about giving it a try on my own. I don't have a ruffler, but oh well.
ReplyDeleteLove your wallpaper here.
Thanks, Kath. I do love that ruffler! Maybe one should go on your Christmas list?
DeleteGlad you like the wallpaper. I decided I needed to get with the season here! :-)