Yeah, yeah, I know I've been absent. Sometimes the words are just not there, for whatever reason. Maybe just so I won't bore you! :-)
And now, it's October and fall is here. Love it! The poplars are laying down a carpet of gold on the grass in the backyard, the box elders are turning their usual stunning red, and the days are blue and gold. Here where I live, fall is our shining time. Gorgeous!
I've decorated the house and added a few new pieces. I've need a centerpiece for the dining room table and back in August I took advantage of some coupons at JoAnn's and bought three large fall picks and one flower pick that had about five chrysanthemums on it in varying colors. Two weeks ago I finally got brave (Who has to get brave to make a centerpiece?? Apparently I do.) and decided to see what I could do. I had a lovely white casserole/soup tureen in the cupboard and I used it for the vase. I simply bent the stems of the fall picks in a 45 degree angle and placed them in the dish. Then I had Dan cut the flower pick apart (I tried, but my fingers didn't have enough umph...) and placed them among the leaves.
I am inordinately pleased with the results!
I got a new catalog in the mail and found these cute little pilgrims who begged to be added to our home. They are a Williraye design. Aren't they adorable?
A week or so ago Ann and I ran away from home to a neighboring town for a little fun. In addition to Costco, we hit Pier One and I, sucker that I am for seasonal things, had to buy this mug to drink my fall morning coffee. I love its pumpkin color, it's shape, and rustic glaze. It makes me smile each day.
Last week when I went to Ann's for my usual Thursday afternoon of watching the D-man, Ann had my birthday present waiting. We both enjoy the Pioneer Woman's cooking show and her cookbooks, and were excited to learn she had a line of kitchen goods coming out. Ann had been waiting for them to show up at our local Walmart and they finally did.
This beautiful bowl was full of utensils including a wooden spoon, masher, and flat whisk. What fun!! I love kitchen things!
I've been machine embroidering again and did some lace this week including this bookmark:
Meanwhile, Dan has been working on our bathrooms as time allows. Part of the plan is to redo the cabinet fronts and he's been experimenting with drawer fronts. I think we've got it figured out!
Normally I'd be watching Daniel this afternoon but he was up all night with the throw-ups so Ann is home with him. She said he was finally starting to feel better about ten this morning. So, here I am, doing a catch-up.
Happy October! ♥
I can just see you bustling about your house, decorating as you go. Love the bouquet in the soup tureen, the old books (Is that "Freckles"?), the Pilgrims -- well, just everything. Thanks for the post -- and the reminder that it's not too soon (and never too late) to be thankful.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kath. And yes, that is "Freckles"; it was my great-grandmother's book. She loved to read and had many of Gene Stratton Porter's books. My favorite is "Girl of the Limberlost"--between us, we wore out a copy. :-)
DeleteMy favorite was "The Harvester," idyllic and impossible in plot but somehow it appealed to me. Of course, I like the others, too. My copies were also old family editions half worn before they came to me.
DeleteI forgot about that one. I loved it, too. I loaned it out when I was in high school and never got it back, but I found it on Amazon a year or so ago and ordered it. I also was able to get a new hard back copy of Girl... a few years ago, also through Amazon. The Library of Indiana Classics reprinted it and the pages are identical to my worn out copy.
DeleteAnd I remember when you were reading "Just David" and "Michael O'Halloran" -- or something -- old melodramas. It's so great to be able to find these things -- and many other things, too. I loved the way the Harvester built that beautiful cabin for "the girl."
DeleteI read Just David and Michael O'Halloran--not sure about the others.
ReplyDeleteIt is great fun how you decorate for the seasons! Someday when other projects are past, I will, too. :)
Last comment: I'm pretty sure your birthday is in August--was Ann really so late with your present or was this an opportunistic "birthday" present? Either way...fun! :)
I didn't have the time or $$ for much seasonal decorating when I was your age, Hallie. Now I have both so I indulge myself. As you say, someday!
DeleteI remember nothing about David and Michael O'Halloran, but The Harvester, Girl..., and Freckles are perennnial favorites.
Ann was late, but only because she knew what she wanted to get and had to wait until they became available. I got a card, a small gift, and a cake on my day from her and she said the rest would be coming.