And what could I possibly be referring to? Bread. I believe I confessed long ago that when it comes to the kitchen, I am way more a baker than I am a cook. I even wrote a whole post about my cookie baking. But I also love making bread. (Interestingly, however, I'm not much of a cake baker. Hmmm...)
I have written about using the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day master recipe to create crusty loaves of bread to accompany soups and pasta dishes. I hadn't made a batch in a while and on Thursday night, I decided to whip one up. Literally, as I used my Danish dough whisk to mix it, just as authors Zoe Francois and Jeff Hertzberg do.
Later that evening, I went to the Artisan Bread site and discovered they had recently done a class for Craftsy. Checking it out, I decided to go for it. The book is great (I have the original version), but I had stalled out with shapes, just making a round loaf each time. It was time to branch out! As soon as I bought the class, I was able to view it. There I sat, in my La-z-Boy loveseat with my feet up, headphones on, watching and learning. Sometimes the internet is just too amazing.
We usually have a date night on Fridays, so it was yesterday before I decided to take the plunge and try a new shape for a loaf to accompany our leftover Pasta E Fagioli soup. I confess I almost chickened out but then I decided no matter how it turned out, looks-wise, it would still taste great. And so I began.
I chose the Pain d'Epi, or wheat stalk because it looks so pretty. I didn't get mine thin enough, but you get the idea. (And I think I need a new, long bread basket!)
We broke off the chunks and I'm telling you, the bread was so crusty and crunchy on the outside and tender and chewy on the inside! I've never made a better loaf! Zoe Francois mentions in the book that it's delicious with jam, so after eating a piece with my soup, I ate another with jam for dessert. Oh.My.Goodness.
Bread making is SO MUCH FUN! ♥
You're such a "Pied Piper," Chris. Yes, I often follow you with your pots and pans and gadgets. They -- whoever they are -- should give you a commission. But this time I'm resisting. I'm just not good with the bread -- and I don't need to eat it.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I have discovered Craftsy, though I have yet to purchase a class. Actually, I need to sit with my feet up and watch quilting videos. Not crochet classes, though. I've decided my methods may not be those that are recommended, but I'm happy not knowing. I did, however, learn to make a "magic circle" through an online video.
Are you telling me I lead you astray? LOL
DeleteI don't eat a lot of bread, but when I do, I want it to taste good. The freezer is my friend for regular loaves, and the Artisan B in 5 can be used to make small loaves, just enough for one meal, so we get the benefit of fresh without feeling like we have to eat a big loaf while it's still crusty.
I'm with you on not wanting to know if I'm doing things "right." That's why I don't belong to a quilt guild or go to quilt camps. I'm happy with my methods and that's all that counts, right?
Magic circle? A special way to join yarn?
No, no! You don't lead me astray -- never astray. It's more like, "Look what Chris has! I need one." And then I don't use it to its potential - or my potential -- or something. Mike and I buy bread but have discovered many issues -- cost, size of slices, and varying nutrition. Occasionally I buy good old white bread, and we both remark about how good it tastes. Neither one of us are fans of whole wheat.
ReplyDeleteThe "magic circle" is a method of starting a circular design in crochet. If you work your stitches into a joined chain, it's apt to draw apart and leave a hole. But if you use the magic circle, you pull it tight -- and closed. (This is important if your circle is the teddy bear's nose.)
We want no teddy bears with a holey nose! Poor things.
Delete