Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Cozy Days, Part Ten?

I'm certain I've used the title Cozy Days numerous times before, but I'm too lazy to go back and count.  So, we'll just say this is the tenth time.  

It's spring break here, and even though I don't teach any more, I'm still tuned in to the school schedule. And per usual, it's rather rainy and dreary, but that just makes for cozy days, which I love. And cozy days bring me to the kitchen.  And cookbooks.  


King Arthur Flour Company has published a new magazine this spring called Sift and I finally decided to order it.  I've enjoyed slowly reading through it.  I may never make any of the recipes, but it has inspired me and that's a good thing.  After several evenings of poring over it, I checked my cookbook cupboard for similar reading and pulled out A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman.  It's full of information and tempting recipes, and the photographs are absolutely gorgeous.  

I noticed that the Goldman book has a line of type on the bottom of the cover and the middle words are "Bake to Nourish."  I'm sure she meant nourish as in feed, but somehow baking nourishes my soul.  Mucking about in the kitchen, covered in flour, is a soul satisfying time for me.  I'm reminded of Brother Lawrence's (a seventeenth century monk) words:  "The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen. . . I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees. . ."   ♥

4 comments:

  1. I know I've re-used post titles, but I finally reasoned that each post is dated and so it doesn't matter. And I don't remember post titles.

    I make palatable meals and some baked goods, but I don't practice much in the kitchen. I have to think about who will eat it and for how long before I bake. I gain weight as it is. Love the quote from Brother Lawrence -- words that apply to so many of our good daily activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that quote is appropriate for many of our daily activities and good to remember. As for how long food will will be eaten, the freezer is my friend. I only put a few cookies in the jar and freeze the rest. Ditto bread, quick breads, etc.

      Delete
    2. I, too, have taken to keeping cookies in the freezer and putting just a few at a time in the cookie jar. Do you know how good frozen cookies are?

      Delete
    3. Yup! That's why I keep mine in the big freezer in the garage--not as handy!! :-)

      Delete