Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ahh, Soup, How I Love You!

Lest you think this is an ode to Campbells, let me assure you that it is not.  It's an ode to homemade soup.  In this case, a little number I concocted using dried beans.  

Is it not gorgeous?  At four o'clock this afternoon, my bag of navy beans was still sealed.  (Have I mentioned lately how much I love my pressure cooker?  Well, I do!) My recipe starts out with some basics from Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass, and then is customized by moi.  I have appropriated her name for it though:  Pasta E Fagioli. And I have to tell you, as we were eating it tonight, I heard myself say, "It has such depth of flavor." And, "The flavor lingers in the mouth." And then I said, "I don't think I've ever said those phrases before! Hmmm..."  After more than forty-three years of being the head cook, most things I make don't knock my socks off anymore, but this little number will be repeated!  ♥

9 comments:

  1. "Food adventure" is difficult in later life for a number of reasons. Glad you found a winner.

    Tell us again, please, about your pressure cooker. We used to have one and I let it go when we downsized. Now a friend has given me one because she's downsizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, if you'll look down the side of the page here on my blog, you'll see a list of labels for my posts. Click on pressure cooker and you can read back and see the post where I showed mine.

      Delete
  2. Yum! I, too, love soup. I would be embarrassed to say how many days of the week I have soup for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you make a big pot and eat it all week? We do! It gets better and better, doesn't it? .

      Delete
  3. We always had soup for lunch when I was growing up -- usually a can of Campbell's, which is fine with me. In fact, I preferred it to my dad's homemade soup which was not strained well enough to suit me.

    Game birds lend themselves well to soup, so these days I make quite a lot, usually with the help of canned broth.

    Thanks for the reminder on finding your pressure cooker post. I enjoyed re-reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, grew up with Campbell's for lunch (and one story involving Cream of Mushroom is legend in our family) but there's way too much sodium in those cans for me these days.

      Let me know how your pressure cooking goes. Is the one you received old style or new generation?

      Delete
  4. These days we're aware that some soups (like cream of mushroom) are meant for cooking. I remember eating cream of mushroom soup when I stayed with Grandma Portfors. I remember when Sonya, our neighbor, traded me a can of chicken noodle for cream of mushroom, and young Murray blustered that the two were not the same in cooking value.

    Alas! The pressure cooker I acquired is old style and needs a new gasket before it can be used. It's basically the same model I discarded. Frankly, if I'm going to use a pressure cooker, I'd rather have new generation. I quit using our pressure cooker years ago in favor of the Crock Pot because somehow the end product always tasted the same to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new cookers are so easy to use, I wouldn't mess around with the old style. I've heard other people say the same thing food cooked in a pressure cooker, but then I've heard others say the same thing about a slow cooker. I guess it just depends on spices, etc. used.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. Our birds tenderized in the pressure cooker seemed to become tasteless, but I don't remember following meal recipes and using spices, etc. And I've always made meals in the crock pot and never think they taste the same. Of course, I could argue that anything I cook tastes the same. That said, I'm better with spices than I used to be.

    ReplyDelete